He's got a point here... I've been using PHP since about 4.0.2 and I've been
reading PHP-DEV for months (not all of it, but most), and I still don't
really understand the concept of PECL. I understand it's some kind of
extension repository which allows for extensions to have another release
cycle and versioning, but I don't know how I could get the extensions ...
being a Windows user that always gets the binary distribution. I can imagine
that most who have not been subscribed to PHP-DEV don't know about it at
all.

[obscure-language-mode]
Melvyn, ben jij ook webmaster van WebWereld? :)
[/olm]

Regards,

Manuzhai

"Melvyn Sopacua" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> At 03:12 14-10-2002, you wrote:
>
> > > Great idea, but PECL doesn't work everywhere, for example I believe
OSX
> > > does not yet support it (that being my main platform of concern).
> >
> >If someone gives me an account on an OSX box (or even better, puts an
> >OSX box into my mailbox! ;-) I will make it work.
>
> Not really forming an opinion yet, but wouldn't it be better, to get PECL
> into the public domain first? This way you have the testtime, bugreports,
> fixes, flames etc. to deal with, __before__ releasing a major version.
>
> The way to do that, would be to move a 'non-core', but widely used
extension,
> to PECL and be ready to do some serious work on it.
>
> Just ask around - not many people have heard of PECL, outside
PHP/PEAR-DEV.