>>> Thousands of programmers use short tags in their scripts, but only
>>> hundreds can't change this setting in php.ini manually.
>
> M> Wrong... Many webhosting companies won't allow customers to change
> M> php.ini, and my experiences with php_set_ini() aren't too good.
>
> yep, many of hostings don't allow this.
> but in 99% XML on such hostings is not allowed too.
>
> I think you shouldn't do the wrong thing if someone does...

Your missing the point of my suggestion. Im not suggesting we switch it
off by default, Im suggesting we *remove* the feature.

As the XML community expands and more and more scripting languages (server
and client side) are being designed to interoperate, cross-language
compatability (or at least handling) is required.

The short tag <? is bad form, and shows lazyness. <?php fits the standard,
and its my recommendation that (in version 5 of the product) the sort tag
option is removed.

Yes - this will break *alot* of sloppy scripts (including scripts taking
the short cut <?= instead of <?php echo). However, a very simple
sh/sed/awk script could be written that scans a directory tree and
converts all .php files to .php5 files.

Note: this script could also check for other cross version problems that
may arrise.

My *key* point is that come the upgrade jump from v4 to v5 people will
*expect* major differences - otherwise it would just be another step in
the v4 tree. Major upgrades are one of the few times you can make major
modifications to the structure of a system without users whinging.

I am still -1 on anything being changed for v4 in respect to short tags,
but +1 on as much as possible being done in v5 to eradicate short tags.

--
Dan Hardiker [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
ADAM Software & Systems Engineer