Thanks, Andi.

yeah, I will wait for Thies to reply to me. We have sort of a started
this discussion with him before, so hopefully he will join into this one.

My main concerns about OCI8 are the followings ones. Some of them are
related to the opverall idea of PHP-DB usage, some to the actual
performance and some to the missing functionalities. Some, might be
bogus or hardly accomplisheble. Here's what I think:

1. Datatype support. Right now, OCI8 only supports string and integer
datatypes binded via PLSQL. It would be great being able to use all the
remaining ones like booleans and dates, the other, incompatible onces
might need to be translated into PHP's way so they can be used within
PHP. Main problem of this is that, tipically, DBAs would grant the
access via PLSQL (stored procedures) to a various number of clients,
applications and langueages. Since, PHP does not funny support PLSQL,
interfacing Oracle via PHP not having to change stored procedures is
very limited.

2. XMLTYPE. This is new since Oracle 9.2. Will all the XML fever of
today, wouldn't it be possible to add some extra compatibility for it to
stipulate Oracle users using PHP? Always if this is dopable and logical.

3. Record type from Stored Procedures. (similar to #1) This is a VERY
BIG limitation.  It is, probably, the 50% of the reason why PHP is not
used much with Oracle.  Most programming languages can retrieve RECORD
type from stored procs. and use it as arrays of data (like plain SQL
records return). PHP fails on it, it only allows you to return the
cursor, and for that you need to modify (descresing so performance) the
stored procedures directly. At my work, (Italian Government) a datadase
had over 500 stored procedures used via other programming languages. To
migrate onto PHP, these all had to be changed and the backwards
compatibility to the previous programming language was completely lost.
It's a big issue.

4. OCI8 module naming conventions. How come OCI module is named OCI8
(specifically)? I think this makes it
hard for many to believe that it can fully be compatible with upcoming
releases of Oracle. Lots of businesses count a lot on application life-times
and, seeing '8' (or so would be with '9') makes management feel that they
might not be able to upgrade their expensive Oracle licences till PHP comes
up with some newer number on the extension name. Which, in our case means
changing the whole extension and, I really don't think we would be doing
that too often. I personaly would see Oracle extension better with one only
generic name like OCI, ora, oracle or whatever but not version-labeled.
This could also help us keeping the OCI8 intact while adding newer
changes.

5. Functions are called OCI .* I do well know what it refers to, but
this is only because I learned the original oci.h API. Wouldn't itbe more
standard for PHP to use similar naming as mySQL, pgSQL, MSSQL extensions
ect? OCI make it a bit confusing, I always heard from my co-workers.
Besides, this can also be a great input for newer Oracle's updates.

Here's one of the sample bugs that can be occuring while continuing the
current OCI8 extension with Oracle 9 and so on...

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=18758

Hope, Thies and the rest of Dev Group can comment on my thought, and try
to think of a way improving PHP's Oracle support so we can start working
on it.  Btw, I do not have a karma for php4, so keep that in mind :)

--
Maxim Maletsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.PHPBeginner.com  // where PHP Begins