Hello,

> If you explicitly specify a charset, then you need to encode the
> characters according to that character set.  The problem is, that
> encodings such as é and Ä (which show up on the credits
> page), don't work under all charsets/encodings.

IMO this is alreadly accomplished with mbstring or iconv extension.

And I wonder why do you think it is so important to show the characters
like é or ä in every browser... ?  For me, to show correct
multibyte characters in the gpc section would make more sense.
Therefore I think the best solution is to keep the best visibility in the
user's native charset / encoding.

> I will test it again, with the charset declaration back in, but I'm
> relying on people with non-Western browsers and charsets for some
> feedback on how the choice of charset affects the rendering of the pages.

As I said before, IE and Mozilla automatically changes the font
preference if no suitable glyph for a character is found on rendering.
So with some charsets, specifying the face name in CSS declaration has
no effect.

Please look at the attached HTML file and the image (the file would be
dropped in the list). The HTML file is encoded in UTF-8 and the image is
rendered by IE5.5 . Note that the font used to render the Japanese
characters are not "Arial Unicode MS" but "MS PGothic". Hope it helps.

Moriyoshi Koizumi