At 07:40 18/10/2002, Andi Gutmans wrote:
At 01:09 AM 10/18/2002 +0200, Zeev Suraski wrote:
At 18:49 17/10/2002, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
<?xml ()?> has whitespace.
And I personally think it's a bit pushing it. How likely is it for someone to have a function called xml(), and then call it without a space from the <? tag, and then add a space before the parentheses? I think we can safely ignore that one...
I don't see why it's such a big deal for people who are creating xml to turn-off short tags?
I don't see why it's such a big deal to have this thread quiet down for at least a couple of years, and making the lives of those who generate XML a bit easier, and their scripts more portable.

Are we seriously taking this <?xml () issue into account? Come on.

function php()
{
}

works fine, right? But, God forbid, <?php () becomes ambiguous!! Are we dropping <?php now? We can barely hold under the flow of bug reports.

Identifying <?xml is a practical solution to a practical problem.

Zeev

p.s.: Do you guys seriously think a person could argue with himself so vigorously? ;)