At 02:49 PM 10/23/2002 -0500, David M. Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Andi Gutmans wrote:

> Jason knows that my stand on this one is that if we have >>> we really
> should also have <<< which will clash with here-docs. Suggestions for
> other operators such as his <<<< are a possibility.

Wrong on two counts.

The reality of twos-complement, bitwise arithmatic is that there are three
basic shift operations:  shift left, bitwise shift right, and arithmetic
shift right.  This simple fact is one of the basic ideas of dealing with
twos-complement integers.
I know that but I still wanted the opposite to be available to keep things symmetrical. I'm not sure but I think CPU's do support both logical and arithmetic shifts and just do the same with both (I might be wrong though).

Given this fact, there is no reason to have a bogus fourth operator in the
name of symmetry.  Mathematical operaters are simply not always
symmetrical.  There is no such thing as 'arithmetic shift left' or
'logical shift left' in terms of twos-complement integers, so why invent
it?
I agree that they don't *have* to be symmetrical but I think it's better.

Second of all, my understanding of the here-doc operator is that it acts
as a unary operation.  I don't see the conflict with the binary
application of <<<, given the example of unary and binary -, if it is
absolutely neccessary to fulfill the (somewhat psychotic) need for
symmetry where it is not realy needed, or even strictly correct.
psychotic? Can we please have discussions on a professional and not personal level?
As far as I remember it does clash with here-docs. I'm pretty sure I thought of an example a while back. I can try and think of one again. In any case, I wouldn't want an overloaded operator. We try and keep away of that kind of stuff with PHP.

Andi