Add one more -- or even more, as I 'd say I'm +>1 for this!

> BTW, real language (i.e. not shell) don't flush. Please let me
> know if there is real language that do automatic flushing by
> default.

But PHP-CLI *is* a shell-scripting language, and therefore should behave
like one.  Other flavours of PHP aren't, and shouldn't.  QED.

> In addition, is it too difficult to write this kind of code?
>
> function prompt($prefix) {
>   echo $prefix;
>   flush();
> }
>
> I think this kind of code will be taught at the first
> class of programming course. (I could be wrong,
> since I don't know where people learned programming ;)

At university: learned half-a-dozen languages; *all* of them flushed streams
open on TTY either after every character, or (at line-end or when input
requested from same device).  I've been programming now for over 25 years,
and this is *still* the behaviour I expect by default when programming
command-line-executable scripts or programs.

> Let's guess something interesting.
>
> How much % of scripts actually needs automatic flushing?
> My guess is less than 1%. What is yours?

For PHP-CLI: more than 90%.
For PHP CGI or SAPI: much less than 1%.