Since I wrote the function, I can provide some insight.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Leon Atkinson wrote:
> This function wraps zend_is_callable.  The first argument is the name
> of a function or method.  Class and object methods are specified by
> passing an array with two elements: class or object and method name.

Right.

> The second argument seems to be for checking syntax only, but I can't
> figure out how to make is_callable return FALSE when the second
> argument is TRUE.

Try this:

var_dump(is_callable(array(1,2), true));

> The third argument receives the "callable name".  In the example below
> it's "a::b".  Note, however, that despite the implication that a::b()
> is a callable static method, this is not the case.
>
> <?
>   class a
>   {
>     var $c;
>
>     function b()
>    {
>      return($this->c);
>     }
>   }
>
>   $d = new a;
>
>   if(is_callable(array($d, 'b'), FALSE, $name))
>   {
>     print($name);
>   }
> ?>

Well, $name is just supposed to indicate which class/method you were
checking. It doesn't tell you whether the method is static or not,
because in PHP 4 it doesn't make sense.

-Andrei                                       http://www.gravitonic.com/

Politics is for the moment, an equation is for eternity.

                                   -- Albert Einstein