I'm not really arguing for or against this, but since when did speaking english become a corollary of being intelligent? And even if we accept the rather ridiculous hypotheis that all php developers can comprehend english, what if they don't want to, or are more confident using their native tongue in day-to-day work? Why deny that to them on prinicple?

Plenty of products support multi-lingual errors in the way John describes. In fact there's an argument that constant-based error codes are even easier to describe than verobose english descriptions, as they leave no room for ambiguity due to re-phrasing.

Daniel Lorch wrote:

hi,

   Daniel, Sterling is arguing in favor of having localized
   error messages.

s/agree/disagree/ :)

Do what you think is right. However, I think it just adds another level of
unnecessary complexity. We can safely assume a certain level of intelligence
when dealing with php developers ("developers" as in "developing IN PHP").
PHP is not a application as in "Windows XP" or "Media Player", but it's a
development environment where the users necessarily has to be confronted
with a couple of error messages. For the sake of brevity, these are kept
in english and this shouldn't change, IMAO.
Developers don't have to be spoon-fed. Really.

-daniel