Hi Philip,

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Philip Olson wrote:

> So "mainstream" is defined as which are bundled with the
> PHP4 source, whether it's in PECL or not?  Does anyone
> know or have a list of what will go where and when? Is
> the install, configure, and use process different for
> PECL extensions?  Why are any PECL extensions bundled in
> PHP4 source?  That seems to defeat the purpose.

As I just explained to you on IRC (and repeating here "for the record"),
the aim is to have a virtually empty php5/ext/ directory and have all
extensions (besides standard) living in PECL.
Once in PECL, the extensions gain dependency tracking information.

When we publish a release, we will pick the "gold" extensions based on
the userbase (popular extensions will be included by default) and the
level of maintenance (crufty extensions might not be bundled by
default).

> > So, what I'd like to see (and this seems reasonable, IMO) is:
> >
> > o One doc download for the PHP core + bundled extensions (which may
> > reside in PECL).
> > o One doc download for the PEAR classes + non-bundled PECL extensions
> > o One doc download for extension developers (the streams and zend API
> > stuff needs a proper home).
> > o One doc system to rule them all (but keep it modular of course).
>
> Regarding the separate developers manual, the main reason it
> hasn't already been done (aside from time constraints) is there
> is question on whether it should be translated or not.  I vote no
> it shouldn't as that'd mean outdated developer docs as the zendapi
> stuff seems to change a lot and translations are slow and
> sometimes are just one-time operations.  In fact, aren't the current
> en zendapi docs already outdated?  I don't know this topic.  On a
> related note, those PHP4/README.* docs would  fit nicely in this
> dev manual.

Yes, the developer docs should be written only in english for the
reasons you mention above (which are similar to the reasons for not
localizing the php error messages).

--Wez.