I got strange results when configuring php with cpdf, dba, gd and jpeg/tiff. The
problem was that cpdf requires jpeg and tiff libraries but did not check for them.
Only in gd there were tests and missleeding hints: GD messages suggest that
tiff/jpeg are only used there. As of current implementation both libs were added
by calls to function PHP_ADD_LIBRARY in ext/cpdf/config.m4. Then in dba config
tests failed because those two libs were missing.

The above is fixed now in HEAD but there are other places where libraries are
added with PHP_ADD_LIBRARY and without further checks. Also some libraries
are linked more than once.

Should we change PHP_ADD_LIBRARY and PHP_ADD_LIBRARY_WITH_PATH
to check whether the library was already added and whether at least the file exists?

marcus