Just a couple of comments, see below.

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 00:36, Ananth Kesari wrote:
> Well, we could figure out this as of now. Thanks for your response. We will get back
>if we have further problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Ananth.

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Ananth Kesari wrote:
>
> > To build for Apache on Unix, it appears that we have to use the
> > following options in the configure script to get the equivalent of
> > what I mentioned above:
> >
> > --with-apache=<Path to Apache source> --disable-posix
> > --with-mysql=shared --with-ldap=shared --enable-ftp --enable-bcmath
> > --enable-calendar
> >
> > The problem in this approach is that we seem to be getting a static
> > library (xxx.a) as an output. We are not clear what we are supposed to
> > do with this library! Perhaps this needs to be then built along with
> > Apache into the Apache executable.
>
> Yup, you're correct with that statement.

In order to build it along, you would configure your apache with the
--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

> > There is an option called:
> >
> > --with-apxs=<path to the apxs script of Apache>
> >
> > which seems to produce a "DSO" which doesn't seem to work on Linux.
> > The build fails due to errors in the apxs script.
>
> --with-apxs would be the way to go, what errors do you get? Are you
> using Apache 1.3 or a 2.0 series?
>
> Derick

It might also be relevant to know how you built apache and with what
options... I'm not 100% sure but I believe apxs will only be installed
if you use --enable-module=so
I could be wrong or even off-topic though.