Hello,

I am using mainly C/C++, but have some experience with Java, VB,
JavaScript etc.
I started to use PHP4 about 3 months ago, and I am very impressed how
fast it can be learned.
My understanding of the languages cababilities is definitely less then
complete, but I am already missing some features.
Namespaces, static and privat class variables are scheduled for PHP5.
What I do not like about PHP variables, is that they do not have to be
defined before use.
Also there is some inconsistence at this. Personly, I would like a
behaviour similar to visual basic.
Maybe with some kind of option variable (maybe only responsible for
actual context (class, namespace, file)).

- Victor

Case 1 (strict):

class a {
  $OPTION['strict'] = true; // only for this class

  var $ID;                       // define ID
  var static $count = 0;   // define ref counter

  function a() {
    $this->ID = self::$count++; // this would result in an error if ID
is not defined
    $ID = $this->ID;  // works in PHP3/4 , should result in an error in
PHP5 with strict checking
    echo $this->ID;
  }

Case 2 (loose/normal):

class b {
  static $count = 0;   // define ref counter

  function b() {
    $this->ID = self::$count++; // works
   $ID = $this->ID;  // works too
   echo $this->ID;