I suppose I could munge with the apache tables directly in a hook before
the data is read by the standard treat_data hook, although for post data I
am not sure I have any way to get in there before the
ap_get_client_block() call and change what data ap_get_client_block() is
going to see.
  I don't think there's a way to do that with Apache 1.x. Would
  mod_security (http://www.webkreator.com/mod_security/) solve
  your problem? It is an Apache module that sits between the
  browser and the script, watching the data flowing by (I patch
  the core Apache engine to get to the POST data). I am not changing
  the data at the moment, but was planning to introduce the feature
  some time in the future.

The main goal here, in case it wasn't obvious, is to prevent
cross-site-scripting problems by forcing all user-originating data to be
cleaned automatically and providing a hoop to jump through in case the
developer really does want the raw uncleaned data. It isn't something
that belongs in PHP directly as every site that would be interested in
this would likely have different security policies, but I do think a general hook is something that would be useful to all of PHP.
  I cannot agree more. There is only so much you can do outside
  the PHP (as I do in mod_security).

Bye,
Ivan