On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:03:45 +0100
Hartmut Holzgraefe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Pierre-Alain Joye wrote:

> ext/calendar is about date only, not about time

Yes, both are usefull.

> but i can't see where it is not cross-platform ...

It is.

> and if you want to come up with something usefull even for historians
> you have to deal with different transition dates from julian to
> greorian in addition to time zones and different daylight saving time
> switch dates

Exactly, that why I posted here so early, to get feedbacks and have good
discussions about this kind of problem, or which rules we want apply.

> ext/calendar is not perfect, but all the algorithms are in there ...

The algorithms are not a real problem, regardless to the calendar type,
they are relatively well known. The question is more what we will see in
the date/time functions.

By the way, I did not say calendar is not a good extension. It is easier
to start from scratch instead of trying to add/fix/modify it. I
especially think about the localization, texts as well as TZ.

Another good point to create something new beside calendar, that will
keep BC safe.

hth

pierre