On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Ilia A. wrote:
> On February 21, 2003 09:38 am, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> > > implode) and fclose. However, IMO this wrapper is very useful since it
> > > simplifies commonly used code a great deal and even makes it slightly
> > > faster since the wrapper is in C rather then in PHP.
> >
> >     Oh, come on.  Put it into a utility library; this does not
> >     belong into the core of PHP.  Or is your argument "we already
> >     have so much bloat, a bit more is ok, too"?
>
> This is merely a proposal, which anyone can support or not. Your choice is
> obviously the latter and that's fine, I do want to make it clear why I do
> want to see is part of PHP, whether my reasoning has merit or not is up to
> each person to decide for themselves. If other developers feel the same way
> you do, then this will definitely not be added and we'll have a precedent in
> the event someone else notices file_get_contents() and decides to write a
> function with opposing functionality.

This isn't quite the same as file_get_contents().  That function replaces
this typical newbie PHP blurb:

  $file = file($filename);
  $str = implode('',$file);

Which is amazingly inefficient.  Of course, the correct PHP implementation
is:

  $fp = fopen($filename,'r');
  $string = fread($filename,filesize($filename));
  fclose($fp);

but even that is pretty verbose.

I do agree with Sascha that file_put_contents() as it is currently
proposed is useless.  People aren't currently writing inefficient code to
emulate this behaviour so we aren't fixing a file/implode fiasco here.  We
do not need a core function to replace fopen(); fputs(); fclose().

Now, as Sascha said, if file_put_contents() was actually smart and was
able to atomically create a file with the given contents and handle common
error conditions intelligently, then I am all for it.

-Rasmus