On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 12:11, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Sterling Hughes wrote:
>
> > Analyzing PHP's routines a bit, it seems that the slowest part of a
> > "generic" request is populating the special arrays, $_ENV, $_GET, etc.
> >
> > I was wondering if it might be possible to "tie" these arrays to a
> > function (if you don't understand that, look at Perl for a definition).
> > One could populate them as an overloaded object, and then array accesses
> > would work - I guess.  But I would prefer a cleaner mechanism.
>
> Why not just populate them when you need them? IE, if you access
> $_GET['foo'] it processes the GET data until it has processed upto foo
> in the data itself(and of course it adds the other ones that are
> before 'foo' in the GET data to the array too). With this you never
> process more data then you really need...

Err, that's exactly what I said. :)  That's what tieing a variable is,
it controls access to variables via a function.  An internal
implementation would probably look something like that (on the cgi sapi
at least, on the apache sapi it wouldn't).

-Sterling

--
"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business."
    - Henry Ford