Well, Perl can lean the other way as well actually.  Try this:

  use integer;
  print -27%7;

You will see it gives you -6.  Like I said, it comes down to which way you
truncate.  Programmers tend to think that something like (int)(-3.4)
should result in -3.  If that is what you expect, then I think you also
have to expect -27%7 to return -6.

-Rasmus