On Sat, 7 Mar 2003, Eric Lambart wrote:

> > Adding strtolower calls will only slow down the whole language.

> but my
> point is the overhead involved cannot possibly rival the amount already
> created by the zend_str_tolower() calls within zend_execute.c, which is
> surely encountered far more often in everyday use of PHP.
>
> Does what I am suggesting make sense, now?

Yes, but simple maths suggests that adding a strtolower call when
building the initial hash for each of 2837 functions is surely slower
than not having it :) (this is just for extensions in the core).

You have to remember that this cost is incurred each time php is loaded;
a big performance hit for people using CGI for example.

> But as I have seen no warnings or admonitions about using one or more
> upper case letters in a function or class name in the available
> extension-writing documentation (either online, or in the book ...

Consider this thread a warning ;-)

--Wez.