So would it be OK if we won't touch documentation i.e. remove "in both code
and documentation blocks"?

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 1:28:07 PM UTC+3, Michael Cullum wrote:

> My main issue with this change is that it dictates how it should be used
> in documentation (essentially doc blocks and comments), and presently
> nothing (I think) in PSR-2 or PSR-12 dictates how comments or docs should
> be done as well as code. I'd therefore say this is out of scope.
>
> Furthermore, whilst neither of these two issues are enough to warrant
> removal on their own [in my opinion], I'd add it introduces a BC break on
> PSR-2 which is relatively un-necessary nor hugely helpful and the link to
> it being added due to a PHP 7 feature is rather tenuous (although no more
> so than that relating to operators, hence I say this is not reason enough
> on its own).
>
> Many thanks,
> Michael Cullum
> (Not speaking as Secretary but as Former PSR-12 Editor inline with
> declared conflicts of interest)
>
> On 2 Aug 2016 9:10 a.m., "'Alexander Makarov' via PHP Framework
> Interoperability Group" <php...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> PSR-5 scope is phpDoc exclusively. It cannot affect types used for
>> typecasting.
>>
>> On Monday, August 1, 2016 at 6:32:45 PM UTC+3, Larry Garfield wrote:
>>>
>>> On 07/31/2016 02:03 PM, 'Alexander Makarov' via PHP Framework
>>> Interoperability Group wrote:
>>>
>>> For the PSR-12 coding standard I've made a change that forces using
>>> short form of type keywords i.e. bool instead of boolean, int instead of
>>> integer etc.:
>>>

>>> https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/commit/a77993bdf52eb6d5cb9ca37dba3af4df9e3b909c
>>>
>>> As Michael Cullum pointed out, I was too fast and it should be
>>> discussed. I need your answers for the following questions:
>>>
>>> 1. If this additional rule makes sense?
>>> 2. What possible drawbacks are there?
>>>
>>> *Why was the change made*
>>>
>>> PHP 7.0 introduced scalar types declaration
>>> <http://php.net/manual/en/functions.arguments.php#functions.arguments.type-declaration>
>>>
>>> which does not support long type aliases. Therefore it makes sense to
>>> enforce primary short type forms to be used to have uniform syntax and
>>> prevent possible confusion.
>>>
>>> *Counter-agruments from Michael*
>>>
>>> This could conflict with other PSRs like PSR-5 and seems out of scope of
>>>

>>> I fully agree with the policy.  With PHP 7 using only short-versions for
>>> types it makes sense for everything else to follow that as well.
>>>
>>> However, I'm sympathetic to the scope question.  It does seem more like
>>> PSR-5's responsibility.  PSR-5 isnt' finalized (and is currently fallow),
>>> so it's not binding on anything.
>>>
>>> I guess I could go either way here, although unless PSR-12 considers
>>> coding style within docblocks generally to be in scope (I don't think it
>>> does?) I'd probably agree with Michael and remove it.  Whenever PSR-5 gets
>>> reactivated that change should be made there instead.
>>>
>>> --Larry Garfield
>>>
>> --
>> <javascript:>.
> [...]

  • [PSR-12] Enfo... 'Alexander Makarov' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
    • Re: [PSR... Woody Gilk
    • Re: [PSR... Marc Alexander
    • Re: [PSR... Larry Garfield
      • Re: ... 'Alexander Makarov' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
        • ... Michael Cullum
          • ... 'Alexander Makarov' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
            • ... Korvin Szanto
            • ... Michael Cullum
              • ... 'Alexander Makarov' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group