On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 11:43:51 AM UTC-6, Matthieu Napoli wrote:

> I like that project (FIG 3.0) a lot, however I'm also concerned that only
> 12 people will vote on PSRs. What if there's a PSR being written that has
> nothing to do with those 12 people?
>
> For example what if there's an "async" PSR but none of those 12 people
> work with async libraries: why would they vote YES? And also important: why
> would they be "qualified" enough to vote correctly on topics they may not
> work with? -> both technically and in terms of seeing/understanding the
> need behind the PSR (hope I'm not offending anyone in saying that, that's
> not the goal at all)

This seems to be an incorrect - though common - interpretation of the WG
and CC implementation proposed above.  As I understand it, from reading the
TL;DR, the comments on the ML, and the actual FIG 3.0 bylaws themselves,
the 12-member CC doesn't actually vote on the content of the PSR.  Instead,
the Working Groups vote on the technical content of a PSR, while the Core
Committee votes on whether the PSR went through the correct processes
completely, and can therefore be considered finalized.  The CC's
understanding of the spec itself isn't strictly relevant to their vote,
because they aren't voting on the content, beyond a high-level
quality-assurance evaluation.  Instead, they're voting on whether the WG
properly considered input from all interested parties, whether the spec is
properly presented in accordance with FIG conventions, whether the required
number of implementations exist, and similar.  This is all done *after* the
technical considerations have been voted on by the WG (and if the WG
doesn't already contain all interested/affected parties in its own right,
the FIG Member Projects at large, as described earlier by Michael), and
that vote has passed.  So by the time the CC sees it, the technical content
should already have been vetted.

Said another way, the WG is responsible for the technical vote; the CC is
responsible for the process vote.  Or as an analogy, the WG is the
developers, while the CC is quality assurance.  I'm not really seeing a
conflict, here, in having the WG/CC voting process be set up the way it is.

----

Regarding the "ownership" concern brought up by others in this thread, I
think formalizing the "informal vote of member projects" that Michael
mentioned above *into* the process (by which I mean, adding it to the FIG
3.0 bylaws, in writing) would probably address this concern, by making
clear that such a vote is expected in these cases?  Is that a valid
conclusion?

I imagine the WG would be responsible for taking this step, as described
above, and if it isn't completed before the CC vote, they would be
obligated to reject the PSR until that vote has been cast and considered.
 At which point, the WG could resubmit the PSR for further evaluation and
approval.  (I imagine the vote results, along with major concerns expressed
therein, and so forth, would be included in the meta document?)  I could
see a case or two crop up where the WG doesn't realize their PSR covers
other member projects in the first place, and only discovering that fact
after sending the PSR to the CC for approval.  But I also expect the CC
would point this out during the initial acceptance vote on whether a PSR
should even be created, if the WG didn't already note such scope in their
proposal.

- Daniel Hunsaker