The term "Frame" is extremely confusing, I think it's a big issue with the
current version. I'm sure if you showed the current signature to PHP
developers a majority of them would not understand what that parameter is.

On the other hand `$response = $next($request)` is so simple and widespread…

Yes we loose type safety but there's only one parameter and it's an HTTP
request, it cannot get simpler than that. Do we really want to complicate
the standard for no actual gain in real scenarios ?

With PSR-7 middlewares the callable type-hint is not an issue, let's not
solve a problem that doesn't exist?