Thanks Woody for your answer. Such information should be in the META
document, else we are bound to discuss all this over and over.

Back to the topic: I don't see how the interface helps. If I'm writing a
server middleware stack, I'll type-hint against ServerMiddlewareInterface
(and vice-versa if it's a client middleware stack).

> it illustrates the requirement that stacks must be aware of  the type
hint of the middleware being added to the stack [1]. If the stack  ONLY
accepts client middleware, it MUST type hint against
 ClientMiddlewareInterface. If it accepts both server and client
 middleware, it MUST type hint against MiddlewareInterface.

Right, so how is the interface helping since it's type-hinting against the
root "MiddlewareInterface"? It will prevent implementors from type-hinting
against a more specific interface so I don't see the point. I'm missing
something here.

> Now it could certainly be argued that having the StackInterface is out of
scope for the spec and I wouldn't disagree. However, any removal [2] should
be accompanied by an update to the middleware meta document to describe how
the type hints should be used.

What do you mean by that?

Thanks!
Matthieu