> By my calculations, getting people to agree about smaller, isolated
abstractions should be a lot easier than getting people to agree on a
larger, combined package of abstractions.

You state that general-purpose URI is "smaller, isolated abstraction".
However, in general case, you have to think about use cases more carefully.
Sometimes, it is just really hard work.
It is much harder to find consensus, etc.

On other hand, it's easier to work within specific domain.
You introduce only methods that make sense for this domain.
It increases *cohesion* of the package.

I understand your point, but it's not terrible to have the same concept in
different domains, especially if it behaves slightly differently.
There are a lot of possible variations of the URI I think.
Sometimes you need highly-detailed URI (like
$uri->getQuery()->getParam('foo', 'default')), sometimes you are OK with
$uri->getQuery(): string.
Sometimes you want to limit possible URIs for specific domain (I don't
think it makes sense to allow ftp:// URIs for PSR-7, for example).
Sometimes you want to reduce API of the class, because some parts of it
doesn't make much sense in some domain.

Every abstraction has a price. Sometimes you don't want to pay it and
choose clarity of intent.