> Given that most of PSR-11 was developed "off in a corner" from a FIG POV,
> I'd strongly suggest that anything people ask about here be taken as a need
> for clarification in the metadoc (if something isn't there already).  "This
> GitHub link in this other group you wouldn't know to look for" is a useless
> answer when (not if) questions arise from people reading the spec in the
> future after passage.

Hi Larry, I agree very strongly with that remark, in fact we take that
quite seriously :p (as you can see by the length of the meta document)
Everyone can find all that information and all those links there:

-
https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/proposed/container-meta.md#5-history
-
https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/proposed/container-meta.md#6-interface-name
-
https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/proposed/container-meta.md#11-relevant-links

Regarding the original question this is answered in the document
too:
https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/proposed/container-meta.md#31-goals

It is important to distinguish the two usages of a container:

>    - configuring entries
>

>    - fetching entries
>
> Most of the time, those two sides are not used by the same party. While it
> is often end users who tend to configure entries, it is generally the
> framework that fetches entries to build the application.
> This is why this interface focuses only on how entries can be fetched from
> a container.

 Any kind of improvement in the wording is welcome. I have taken a few
sentences from Matthew's response and reworded it a bit, maybe we could add
in this section:

> Another reason the idea of "adding services" is being considered
separately is because there's a ton of approaches, and not a lot
of commonalities between them. Determining what the minimum set of features
to support is proving to be quite difficult, and as such is being worked
upon in a separate PSR.

> In the meantime, PSR-11 is useful on its own. Containers can be
configured by the end users, with their custom API. Then PSR-11 containers
can be provided to compatible applications which will call get() or has()
to retrieve objects such as a controllers, middlewares, and all their
related dependencies.

Thoughts?

Matthieu