This was carried over from PSR-6 tbh, and my understanding is that "an Implementing Library MAY use a configured default duration" means you can very well treat null as "do not expire ever".

If you read the symfony cache docs for example [1], it shows that by default they treat it that way, and I'd expect others do that too but I havent' researched in depth.

As such I am ok leaving it as is because the common-sense implementations will do it right, and it doesn't warrant breaking away from PSR-6 IMO.

Cheers

[1] https://symfony.com/doc/current/components/cache/cache_items.html#cache-item-expiration