On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 10:23 AM Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023, at 11:27 AM, Rasmus Schultz wrote:
> > Hey Alex,
> >
> > Thinking more about this...
> >
> > I have to wonder if this really brings any actual interoperability
> > between template engines?
> >
> > Here's the thing.
> >
> > Let's say you have some sort of welcome email service, and it needs to
> > render a template:
> >
> > $mailer = new WelcomeMailService(new TwigRenderer( ..... ));
> >
> > Your mailer instance can now call the abstraction, e.g.
> > $view->render("something", [ ..... ])
> >
> > But the PSR draft kind of explains why that doesn't work - about the
> > template argument, it says:
> >
> > "It MAY be a file path to the template file, but it can also be a
> > virtual name or path supported only
> > by a specific template renderer. The template is not limited by
> > specific characters by definition
> > but a template renderer MAY support only specific one."
> >
> > In other words, the argument itself is implementation-specific - it
> > sounds almost like the definition
> > of a "leaky abstraction".
> >
> > (Which, just to recap, the term "leaky abstraction" refers to a
> > situation in software development
> > where the abstraction layer, which is designed to hide the complexity
> > of a lower-level system,
> > fails to completely insulate the higher-level software from the details
> > of the underlying system.
> > In other words, the abstraction "leaks" details that it was supposed to
> > hide.)
> >
> > Net result, there is no real interoperability here - it needs to be a
> > string, but those strings could
> > be wildly different types that just happen to be represented as a
> > string. An absolute or relative
> > path is in no way compatible with, say, a logical template name,
> > whatever that might mean to
> > a specific template engine.
> >
> > To return to my previous example and explain with a real world
> > scenario, your welcome email
> > service would need to accept an engine-specific template name via it's
> > constructor anyway:
> >
> > $mailer = new WelcomeMailService("templates/welcome.twig", new
> > TwigRenderer( ..... ));
> >
> > The welcome service needs a template name that works for the renderer
> > implementation - and
> > it needs these dependencies only for one reason, so it can put them
> > back together at run-time.
> >
> > If we back up and think high-level about what the WelcomeMailService
> > needs from the renderer,
> > it just needs it to render a template - the WelcomeMailService has no
> > use for the template name
> > whatsoever, apart from passing it to the renderer.
>
> All of the above is correct, and is the main reason this proposal has so
> far gone nowhere. :-)

<snip>

> > I see why it would "feel good" to put template engines behind a similar
> > abstraction... but when
> > the abstraction leaks the only important implementation detail -- which
> > template engine you're
> > using -- it's difficult to see what exactly this buys you.
> >
> > I think perhaps you're trying to erase a difference that can't really be
> erased.
> >
> > Unless perhaps you were to have a PSR-specific definition of "template
> > name" - something like:
> >
> > "the template name identifies the logical template to render - it
> > consists of filename-compatible
> > characters separated by a forward slash, which the Renderer
> > implementation may resolve to an
> > actual template, usually a path/filename specific to conventions used
> > by the Renderer in question."
> >
> > This wouldn't leak anything - the WelcomeMailService can use an
> > engine-independent call, such as:
> >
> > $view->render("WelcomeMailService/welcome", [ .... ]);
> >
> > A TwigRenderer might map this to "WelcomeMailService/welcome.twig",
> > while a PHP renderer
> > might map this to "WelcomeMailService/welcome.php", and so on.
> >
> > If you were to switch engines, you'd end up with missing template
> > errors, rather than engine A
> > attempting to render a template written in engine B syntax.
> >
> > I'm not sure which approach is better.
>
> There's a subtle difference here in approach, which is significant.  What
> most (all?) engines today do is:
>
> $engine->render($file, $args);
>
> The problem is, as you note, $file is engine-specific, so non-portable.
>
> Your earlier view-model suggestion would instead use:
>
> $engine->render($view_model);
>
> Where the type of the $view_model gets translated to a template file
> however the engine wants, and the properties of the $view_model are the
> $args.  This solves the genericity problem, at the cost of being
> unconventional.
>
> Your latest suggestion with TwigTemplate above becomes:
>
> new Service($templateDefObject);
>
> But... there is no engine.  Presumably you would also have to provide an
> $engine to Service:
>
> new Service($engine, $templateDefObject);
>
> So that Service could internally do:
>
> $engine->render($templateDefObject, $args);
>
> Which is effectively isomorphic to your second suggestion above:
>
> $engine->render($template_def_string, $args);
>
> Just using a genericized string for the definition vs a carrier object.
> The genericized string is, effectively, what I asked for a year ago for
> this proposal to have a chance of going anywhere. :-)  It never happened,
> so it never went anywhere.

Interestingly, this approach is exactly what we chose for Expressive years
ago, and which now persists in Mezzio. Because we understood that different
engines had different ways to refer to template paths, we enforce a
"namespace" syntax:

- https://docs.mezzio.dev/mezzio/v3/features/template/interface/#namespaces

It works, but you do end up with a leaky abstraction that may not work
across all systems. Past the initial namespace, you can have a mixture of
`::` and `/` to delineate templates in subpaths, and it gets messy. But it
does mean that you largely do not need to care what the implementation is
in order to render something.

We enforce the basic namespace functionality via a test suite that
implementations are expected to pass. The nice part is that you don't need
to build this into the existing template engines; you can instead have a
library that decorates the existing engine and proxies to it under the hood.

Going back to this bit from Rasmus from earlier:

> If a template renderer is going to work only with a specific type of
> template name, why even
> burden the consumer with knowledge of a template name that's
> meaningless to it anyway?
>
> You might as well reduce the abstraction to this:
>
> interface Template
> {
>     public function render(array $data): string;
> }
>
> And now your WelcomeMailService can be ignorant of how the template was
located:

> $mailer = new WelcomeMailService(new TwigTemplate(
"templates/welcome.twig" ));

> The WelcomeMailService still achieves everything it needs to: it's able
> to render the template
> when it needs, passing the template data (which isn't engine specific)
> to the template and
> get back the rendered content. It doesn't need to know anything about a
> template name,
> which wouldn't do it any good anyway, unless it knew which renderer was
> being used, what
> or the syntax of the template name is, etc. - things it isn't supposed
> to know about.

My initial feeling is that this feels like an inversion of
responsibilities. It should be the _engine's_ responsibility to render a
template, not the template's responsibility to render _itself_.
Essentially, every `Template` instance would compose the engine; it feels a
lot like active record in that way. It also means that if you were
potentially rendering more than one possible template in a given
service/handler/whatever, you end up having to pass each and every one via
dependency injection, which can balloon quickly (imagine having several
different different error templates based on the type of error, or
displaying a form error versus a form continuation, etc.) Passing the
_renderer_ makes this simpler in those cases.

On the flip side, I could see a `Template` being a stateful instance within
a given request, allowing it to aggregate variables/data (e.g.,
authentication status, authorization roles, etc.) via middleware, until the
handler renders it. The problem with this, however, is that it contains the
engine itself, which has all the same drawbacks as an ActiveRecord when it
comes to debugging.

Returning to Larry's argument...

> Personally, I prefer the full-on view model approach.  PHP types can
> encapsulate quite a bit these days, which would (as in PSR-14) offer decent
> fallback support via parent types and interfaces, as well as be more
> self-debugging, etc.  It would also be template agnostic.  Additional
> context could be provided by optional named arguments (like $format for
> "html", "rss", "text", etc.), and those could be engine-specific-extended
> without breaking anything if we define a few base ones.
>
> There's probably somewhere that would break, but the biggest blocker is,
> as noted, getting existing engines on board with this.  If we can do that,
> we have options.  If not, there's nothing to do.

Having worked with PSR-14 a fair bit, I _do_ like this approach. Mapping a
_type_ to a _template_ is relatively easy, and allows for both a variety of
approaches as well as things like extension and decoration. I disagree with
having named arguments to determine format; I think that information can be
baked into the view model. One way to do this effectively would be to
decorate a view model into a generic one representing the content type to
generate, and then allow the renderer to compose strategies based on that:

    final class RssViewModel
    {
        public function __construct(public object $decoratedModel) {}
    }

The renderer sees the RssViewModel, and passes it to a strategy that knows
how to render an RSS feed, which in turn pulls the $decoratedModel to get
the data to use in the feed. This would allow having helpers like the
following in your handlers:

    private function decorateViewModel(ServerRequestInterface $request,
object $viewModel): object
    {
        return match ($request->getHeaderLine('Accept')) {
            'text/html' => new HtmlViewModel($viewModel),
            'text/xml' => new RssViewModel($viewModel),
            'application/json' => new JsonViewModel($viewModel),
            default => new HtmlViewModel($viewModel),
        };

Allowing you to then:

$response->getBody()->write($renderer->render($this->decorateViewModel($viewModel)));

(Clearly, you'd use something like willdurand/negotiation for the actual
matching, but you get the gist).

The view model approach has another benefit: you can't forget _required_
data when you render. I can't tell you how many times I've discovered that
the reason a page is broken is because of a mistyped array key, or just
plain missing keys. Having actual typed view models helps developers ensure
that they are providing all the information necessary to render a template.

I don't think we necessarily need to worry about having buy-in from the
various template engines, either. The nice part about this is that all of
this work — mapping view models to templates, calling the engine with the
appropriate data — can all happen in _third-party libraries_ that
_implement_ the FIG standard, but _proxy_ to the underlying engine. Those
implementations can handle how to pass data from the model to the engine,
or even have their own conventions that then _work with_ the engine. (As
examples, they could pull data from any public properties of the view
model; or they could pass the view model as a "model" or "view" template
variable; or the renderer could make use of JsonSerializable or a
`__toString()` method;  or the view model could be bound as "$this" in the
template; etc. Application developers would choose the implementation that
suits their application and/or development needs.)

This approach sidesteps the whole "template composes its renderer". View
models can compose other services if they want, but the point is that they
do not contain the information needed to render themselves; that's up to
the renderer.

On top of that, it bypasses the whole "create a spec for referencing
templates", which is very difficult to test, harder to enforce, and likely
leaky (talking from experience here!).

So, I'll toss my hat in the "go with a view model" ring. I think the
following is as simple as it gets and as flexible as it gets:

    interface Renderer
    {
        public function render(object $viewModel): string
    }

Now, going back a few emails, there was discussion about returning the
rendered string, vs _streaming_.

I think it's interesting... but streamed content is _very_ rare in PHP, and
very convoluted to achieve. When using PSR-15 and PSR-7, I'd argue that
might become the realm of a specialized StreamInterface implementation. But
if we were to deal with it in this proposal, I'd argue for a `stream(object
$viewModel): void` or `stream(StreamInterface $stream, object $viewModel):
void` method, vs the proposed render/capture, as it would make it more
clear the _context_  for rendering (a stream).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
mweierophin...@gmail.com