php-general Digest 25 Jun 2006 23:56:01 -0000 Issue 4205

New install platform
        238590 by: Grae Wolfe - PHP
        238591 by: Larry Garfield
        238592 by: Joe Wollard
        238593 by: tedd
        238594 by: Johan Martin

Problem Displaying Images
        238595 by: Prathaban Mookiah
        238597 by: Chris

Re: mail() returns false but e-mail is sent ?
        238596 by: Chris

Protoeditor 1.0 (PHP editor)
        238598 by: Thiago Silva

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        php-general@lists.php.net

  It has become evident that I need some form of local testing environment
so that I can figure out what is wrong with one of my $sql statements.
  Can anyone tell me what the easiest platform is to set up a PHP/MySQL
system?  I have a PC and a Mac on OS X, and with the use of VirtualPC I have
the ability to load most flavors of Linux as well.
  I hate to have to go through this to test a single error, but if anyone
can help with this, I would truly appreciate it.

IME, any modern Linux distro will let you setup a viable Apache/PHP/MySQL
configuration with a few clicks/commands in its package manager of choice.  I
am partial to Debian and Ubuntu, as that's where most of my experience is.
And it's very easy to setup a barebones system that you just put LAMP on,
which is good if you're hosting it as a virtual machine image.

I would actually recommend against Red Hat, as their version numbers are all
kinds of screwed up.  (They will take an old version, patch it with all the
changes to be the modern version, but leave the version number as the old
one.  So what they call PHP 4.3.9 is really PHP 4.3.11 or maybe
4.4.something, I don't know, I don't know if THEY know.)

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson

For a simple OS X install you can either modify the existing
Apache/PHP install and add MySQL or use entropy's package from
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/

At 8:08 AM -0600 6/25/06, Grae Wolfe - PHP wrote:
>  It has become evident that I need some form of local testing environment
>so that I can figure out what is wrong with one of my $sql statements.
>  Can anyone tell me what the easiest platform is to set up a PHP/MySQL
>system?  I have a PC and a Mac on OS X, and with the use of VirtualPC I have
>the ability to load most flavors of Linux as well.
>  I hate to have to go through this to test a single error, but if anyone
>can help with this, I would truly appreciate it.

Grae :

Seems like a lot of trouble -- if the list will permit, what's the offending
sql statement?

You might also try the mysql list, namely:

hth's

tedd

On 25 Jun 2006, at 4:08 PM, Grae Wolfe - PHP wrote:

It has become evident that I need some form of local testing environment
so that I can figure out what is wrong with one of my $sql statements.
Can anyone tell me what the easiest platform is to set up a PHP/ MySQL system? I have a PC and a Mac on OS X, and with the use of VirtualPC I have
the ability to load most flavors of Linux as well.
I hate to have to go through this to test a single error, but if anyone
can help with this, I would truly appreciate it.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
They have complete php/apache/mysql packages for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

Johan Martin
Catenare LLC
534 Pacific Ave
San Francisco, CA. 94133

Mailing Address:
268 Bush Street #2826
San Francisco, Ca. 94104

Phone: (415) 834-9802
Fax: (415) 294-4495
http://www.catenare.com

AOL: catenarellc
Yahoo: martin_johan
GTalk: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

FreeWorldDialup  :716798  - http://www.freeworlddialup.com/
Gizmo Project: 747-627-9132 - http://www.gizmoproject.com/

I am trying to manage images with a web database application. It works fine
with MySQL 5.0.17 and PHP 5.1.1.

But when I port it to another machine that runs MySQL 3.23.54 and PHP 4.2.2, I
have problems viewing the images retrieved from the database in the browser.

The relevant part of the code is:

        $Result = mysql_fetch_array($Resource);

        if (!empty($Result["data"]))
        {
                header("Content-Type: {$Result['mime']}");
                echo $Result["data"];
        }

But I see that some binary data is being echoed on to the client. But I guess
it is corrupted in some way such that the browser cannot display it as an
image. In fact I tried to save it as an image file, and the image viewer
reported it as invalid format.

Hope someone can shed light on this.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Prathap

Prathaban Mookiah wrote:
I am trying to manage images with a web database application. It works fine with MySQL 5.0.17 and PHP 5.1.1.

But when I port it to another machine that runs MySQL 3.23.54 and PHP 4.2.2, I have problems viewing the images retrieved from the database in the browser.
The relevant part of the code is:

        $Result = mysql_fetch_array($Resource);

        if (!empty($Result["data"]))
        {
                header("Content-Type: {$Result['mime']}");
                echo $Result["data"];
        }

But I see that some binary data is being echoed on to the client. But I guess it is corrupted in some way such that the browser cannot display it as an image. In fact I tried to save it as an image file, and the image viewer reported it as invalid format.

How are you putting it into the database? Are you using mysql_real_escape_string or mysql_escape_string, or are you using addslashes or something else?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Leonidas Safran wrote:
Hello,

I'm wondering about the behavior of the mail() function.

$sent = mail($destination, $subject, $content, $headers);

I use some optional header parameters:
"From:[EMAIL PROTECTED]: 1.0\r\nContent-Type: text/plain;
charset=ISO-8859-1\r\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable\r\n".

Can that be source of error? I can see no error in the apache error_log.

I have special caracters in the subject line, which are converted first on php
side to comply with standard. Here also, no error on apache error_log.

The result of mail() is false but the e-mail is sent! Returning true, but
e-mail doesn't reach destination can make sense; in this case, it's strange,
isn't it?

Show us the full context of the code. The example you give us will work fine but that doesn't tell us what's really going on in your code.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Hello,
I've just released version 1.0 of Protoeditor.

Protoeditor is a small KDE text editor (so, for GNU/Linux desktops) developed
for debugging scripts interactively. Currently you can use it to edit and
debug PHP scripts interactively, with step into/over/out, breakpoints,
inspecting variables, function call stack, etc.
It supports the debuggers DBG, Xdebug and Gubed.

More information can be found at:
http://protoeditor.sourceforge.net

or sending an email to me: thiago.silva AT kdemail.net

Thanks,
Thiago Silva