php-general Digest 25 Jun 2007 13:44:46 -0000 Issue 4868

Re: file_get_contents crash, if file is bigger than memory_limit
        257736 by: Jochem Maas

Re: PHP, mbstring, UTF-8 and indexing strings
        257737 by: Jochem Maas
        257741 by: delsvr

Re: Display paragraphs from a mysql db
        257738 by: Ray
        257739 by: Miles Thompson

onphp
        257740 by: Nathan Nobbe

Re: Aggressive PHP Smart Caching
        257742 by: Nathan Nobbe
        257743 by: Robert Cummings
        257745 by: Nathan Nobbe
        257747 by: Robert Cummings

Re: UI toolkit
        257744 by: Nathan Nobbe

undefined symbol:oci8_module_entry
        257746 by: jamal taweel
        257748 by: Chris
        257749 by: jamal taweel
        257750 by: Chris

functions for sorting/paging functionality for imap mailboxes
        257751 by: Yashesh Bhatia

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

it's difficult to read.
why?
don't top post.

oh and please post to the list.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> 1. I dont know, if this is an feature request....

well you're the only one who might.

>>> given that your own comment in the example below states "while loop reading
>>> the data! (This works!)" I can't see why you *have* to use
>>> file_get_contents()
>
> Hm, strange answer, i think. Do you ever have used the file functions of php.
> Why the developers of php say, that file_get_contents is the way to read
> files? Maybe because its faster then a while contruct.

was it ever said that it's the only way?

> Or am i wrong?
>
>>> have you tried filesize() and chcked the result is less than memory_limit?
> Thats an good answer, but i think, the can also be done by php internally +
> throwing an exception :-)

ah so you were there when php core developers decided that BC would be
completely broken and
all core errors would be throw as exceptions? me, I must have missed that.
php exceptions are generally a user level construct - the php core generates
error not exceptions
(with the exception of a few OO based php extensions [php intended])

you might consider that you probably need to work with a tool for a little
longer than
5 minutes before being in a position to determine whether a change to the tool
is possible or
desirable. php is used by 100,000's of people changing the language is not
something
you do 'just like that'

> Maybe i have to read the [EMAIL PROTECTED] strange, this is like the
> hitchhiker. Read the hidden manual!
> Never head before of this internals....
> if you are a php core developer.....  i´m not,

I'm not a core developer either, but that doesn't stop me following development
issues
and discussions on their mailing list.

> i´m a stupid little programmer!

you said it not me, guv.

>>> why do you think it should throw an exception? it won't, especially not a
>>> particular class of exception that you made up o the spot.

> Never head of Pseudocode, examples?? Dont know, how to name this Exception...
> if you have an better name... "WhateverException"
>
> Ok, das musste raus... ist nicht so gemeint :-)

I'm dutch, I don't speak german - I can guess at the meaning of the above but
for the sake of
everyone else stick to english, the language used on this list, please.

delsvr wrote:
> Just a simple question (with a simple answer, hopefully): how can I access
> character x of a utf-8 encoded string? i.e. how would I get this to work:
>
> for($x=0; $x < strlen($utf8); $x++)
>   echo "character {$x}:" . $utf8{$x};
>
> Keep in mind that I have strlen overloaded by mbstring, and this is
> necessary for my purposes because I need to do work on each character. Also,
> by "character" I mean, for example: "我".

substr() should do it.
I don't think you can loop through a multibyte string in the way you want.

$l = strlen($utf8);
for($x=0; $x < $l; $x++) echo "char {$x}:".substr($utf8, $x, 1);

check here to figure out exactly which functions you
are currently overloading:

        http://php.net/mb_string

> Thanks,
> delsvr

This works great. Thanks.

On Sunday 24 June 2007 4:03 pm, nitrox . wrote:
> hi all,
>   I have a news section on a website that im coding that isnt displaying
> properly. Every paragraph in each news post is being displayed as one big
> paragraph. how can i display my paragraphs in proper form? The field the
> news story is stored in is set as longtext.
> here is a link to view.
> http://area51.chalkthree.com/index.php?pg=3
>
> the first update shows what im having an issue with. each item in the
> numbered list should be on a seperate line. there are some line breaks as
> well for new paragraphs that arent displaying properly.
Hello Nitrox,
I went to look at the site indicated, and as far as I can tell, your problem
isn't with the php or the sql. It's with the html. to put each point on
seperate lines, try using the list tags ordered or unordered list.
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_lists.asp just for one example.
Also browsers don't deal with white space the way a word processor does. Very
roughly speaking, your browser will display only one space for one or more
whitespace characters. if you want spaces, use css, &nbsp; or <br>
HTH
Ray
<snip code>

On 6/24/07, nitrox . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

hi all,
  I have a news section on a website that im coding that isnt displaying
properly. Every paragraph in each news post is being displayed as one big
paragraph. how can i display my paragraphs in proper form? The field the
news story is stored in is set as longtext.
here is a link to view.
http://area51.chalkthree.com/index.php?pg=3

the first update shows what im having an issue with. each item in the
numbered list should be on a seperate line. there are some line breaks as
well for new paragraphs that arent displaying properly.

here is the code i have:

                while($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($newsresults))
              {
             print "<br>";
                     print $myrow['news_topic'];
                     print "             ";
                     print $myrow['news_author'];
                     print "   ";
             print $myrow['topic_date'];
             print "<br>";
             print $myrow['news_message'];
                     print "<br>\n";
                                 }

nl2br() as found at http://php.ca/nl2br, as well as the other functions on
that page.

Works well - although you may to futz a little bit with the variations on
break tags.

Cheers - Miles Thompson

all,

has anyone used the onphp <http://onphp.org/index.en.html> framework?
if so what do you think of it?

thanks,

-nathan

Alexander,

sorry to see nobody has replied to your post, im sure you worked very hard
on the cache system and are eager for feedback..

so to me it looks like youve introduced a somewhat new style of caching here
(though im sure there are other such approaches); for instance i know of 2
main uses for caches at this time [as caching pertains to php].

  1. caching php intermediate code
  2. caching application variables

both of these caching techniques are designed to overcome limitations of the
language as it ships out of the box, more or less; afaik.
it appears you are interested in caching the output of php scripts, which
is, i suppose, a third technique that could be added to the list.
so i have a criticism about your system and a couple questions as well.
*criticism*

  - why cache script output on disk?  if a fast cache is your goal, why
  not store the result of script output in memory rather than on disk; that
  would be much faster

*questions*

  - how does your cache system know when cached output is stale and
  allow fresh contents to be delivered from the original script rather than
  being served from the cache?
  - why purge cache contents after 24 hours?  im on the memcached
  mailing list, and recently they were discussing artificially resetting the
  cache; several people said they let memcahe run for months on end.

-nathan

On 6/18/07, Alexander Romanovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm a PHP developer looking for feedback on a caching approach I put
together recently. It's informed by thoughts people have shared on this
newslist and other places over the years. My goal was to come up with an
extremely lightweight flat file caching system which solves various
concerns
about portability, speed, and specific feature implementations.

Included is a wishlist I generated to explain the approach. The code is
small, and documented, and easy to test for those interested. Feedback
form
attached to the following web page (but this newsgroup is as good a forum
as
any, too).

http://technologies.babywhale.net/cache/

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 23:55 -0400, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> Alexander,
>
> sorry to see nobody has replied to your post, im sure you worked very hard
> on the cache system and are eager for feedback..
>
> so to me it looks like youve introduced a somewhat new style of caching here
> (though im sure there are other such approaches); for instance i know of 2
> main uses for caches at this time [as caching pertains to php].
>
>    1. caching php intermediate code
>    2. caching application variables
>
> both of these caching techniques are designed to overcome limitations of the
> language as it ships out of the box, more or less; afaik.

I presume you mean bytecode caching for #1.

As for application variables... the lack of application level variables
is a design choice to make it easier to scale your application
horizontally. This is usually referred to as the "shared nothing"
approach.

Cheers,
Rob.

On 6/25/07, Robert Cummings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I presume you mean bytecode caching for #1.
yes

As for application variables... the lack of application level variables
is a design choice to make it easier to scale your application
horizontally. This is usually referred to as the "shared nothing"
approach.

This is interesting; if the lack of application variables is a design
decision then why do people look to  memcached for performance gains?
afaik, the idea is to add support for application variables since php does
not provide it inherently.
also, other popular (possibly more so in the enterprise [fogive me if you
think thats cheesy]) languages namely java and .net have integrated
mechanisms to
support application variables.  this is often sighted as one of the greatest
shortcomings of php, in my personal experience.
i dont see how lacking support for application variables makes it easier to
scale horizontally either.  horizontal scaling could be achieved in the same
fashion even if the language did offer support for them, by simply choosing
not leverage them, if so desired.

-nathan

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 00:49 -0400, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> > On 6/25/07, Robert Cummings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I presume you mean bytecode caching for #1.
> yes
>
> > As for application variables... the lack of application level variables
> > is a design choice to make it easier to scale your application
> > horizontally. This is usually referred to as the "shared nothing"
> > approach.
>
> This is interesting; if the lack of application variables is a design
> decision then why do people look to  memcached for performance gains?

Because they are ignorant, short-sighted, or understand their problem
enough to know they won't benefit from a shared nothing architecture.

> afaik, the idea is to add support for application variables since php does
> not provide it inherently.

Memcached is for far more than just application variables, but yes it
can be used to mimic app variables. But this takes more of a conscious
effort by someone to shoot themself in the foot.

> also, other popular (possibly more so in the enterprise [fogive me if you
> think thats cheesy]) languages namely java and .net have integrated
> mechanisms to support application variables.

You'll probably find that where there is a high need for scalability, or
potential scalability, developers are not using the feature.

> this is often sighted as one of the greatest shortcomings of php, in my
> personal experience.

I guess it depends on who is doing the citing. If the unwashed masses
are doing the citing then perhaps they feel that way from having gotten
into bad habits.

> i dont see how lacking support for application variables makes it easier to
> scale horizontally either.  horizontal scaling could be achieved in the same
> fashion even if the language did offer support for them, by simply choosing
> not leverage them, if so desired.

Exactly, but by not having them by default it makes it harder for you to
accidentally make use of them. Either way, whether PHP holds your hand
or not, they made a design choice to not have application variables, and
as such that IS why they are not part of the language by default.

Cheers,
Rob.

Darren,

I recently discovered php5 bindings to qt4
http://www.php-qt.org

although qt is currently leveraged by kde primarily it has been converted to
a cmake build system instead of a make build system which supposedly will
enable cross platform capabilities.  kde apps will be running on windows and
what not.
though im not sure what sort of time line all that stuff is on, i know it is
in the works; and i personally prefer qt/kde over gtk/gnome :)

afaik there are no bindings available for windows ui scripting w/ php

-nathan

On 6/24/07, Darren Whitlen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm really looking into using PHP as an all-round scripting language.
I'm looking for a native looking UI toolkit, which takes PHP-GTK out the
question.

I've seen wxWidgets but I can't find any bindings for PHP, unless
anybody knows of any that I can't find?

Or, if anybody knows of any other native UI toolkits available for PHP?
At least native linux and windows look.

Darren

Hi,

I have a problem when installing PHP 5 .2.3 with oracle 10.2.0, where as I do
the following:
·         ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/php5
--with-apxs2=/opt/apache2/bin/apxs --with-libxml-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-zlib
--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-gd --enable-soap --enable-sockets
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/ --enable-exif --enable-ftp
--with-oci8=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0
--with-oracle=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0
·         Make
·         Make test

I have  a fail on all OCIs issue.
·         Make install

And after I restart the apache2, the following error was obtained:
“httpd: Syntax error on line 54 of /opt/apache2/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load
/opt/apache2/modules/libphp5.so into server: /opt/apache2/modules/libphp5.so:
undefined symbol: oci8_module_entry”

Can you help?

Thanks,
jamal

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

jamal taweel wrote:
Hi, I have a problem when installing PHP 5 .2.3 with oracle 10.2.0, where as I do the following:
·         ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/php5
--with-apxs2=/opt/apache2/bin/apxs --with-libxml-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-zlib
--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-gd --enable-soap --enable-sockets
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/ --enable-exif --enable-ftp
--with-oci8=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0
--with-oracle=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0
·         Make
·         Make test
I have a fail on all OCIs issue.

So why did you continue with something that didn't work?

What were the errors?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

The error was after i restarted the apache, a generated error was issued as the
following (it will be fixed if i configure the php without OCI8):
httpd: Syntax error on line 54 of /opt/apache2/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load
/opt/apache2/modules/libphp5.so into server: /opt/apache2/modules/libphp5.so:
undefined symbol: oci8_module_entry”
I made
 # make test TESTS=ext/oci8
The following results were obtained:

Build complete.
Don't forget to run 'make test'.

CWD         : /opt/php-5.2.3
PHP         : /opt/php-5.2.3/sapi/cli/php
PHP_SAPI    : cli
PHP_VERSION : 5.2.3
ZEND_VERSION: 2.2.0
PHP_OS      : Linux - Linux PDN-Serv 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:30:39
EST 2005 i686
INI actual  : /opt/php-5.2.3
More .INIs  :
Extra dirs  :
Running selected tests.
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and invalid values 1
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_001.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and invalid values 2
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_002.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and invalid values 3
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_003.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and invalid values 4
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_004.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and invalid values 5
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_005.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name(), SQLT_CHR and default max_length
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_006.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and invalid values 7
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_007.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and invalid values 8
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_008.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and invalid values 9
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_009.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and invalid values 8
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_010.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name(), SQLT_CHR, default max_length and empty array
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_011.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name(), SQLT_CHR, default max_length and empty array
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_012.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name(), SQLT_CHR, default max_length and empty array
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_013.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and NUMBERs [ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_014.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and SQLT_ODT [ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_date.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and SQLT_ODT
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_date1.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and SQLT_FLT
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_float.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and SQLT_FLT
[ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_float1.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and SQLT_INT [ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_int.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and SQLT_INT [ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_int1.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and SQLT_AVC [ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_str.phpt]
FAIL oci_bind_array_by_name() and SQLT_AVC [ext/oci8/tests/array_bind_str1.phpt]
FAIL binding empty values [ext/oci8/tests/bind_empty.phpt]
FAIL bind LONG field [ext/oci8/tests/bind_long.phpt]
FAIL bind LONG RAW field [ext/oci8/tests/bind_long_raw.phpt]
FAIL bind RAW field [ext/oci8/tests/bind_raw.phpt]
FAIL Bug #26133 (ocifreedesc() segfault) [ext/oci8/tests/bug26133.phpt]
FAIL Bug #27303 (OCIBindByName binds numeric PHP values as characters)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug27303.phpt]
FAIL Bug #27303 (OCIBindByName binds numeric PHP values as characters)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug27303_2.phpt]
FAIL Bug #27303 (OCIBindByName binds numeric PHP values as characters)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug27303_3.phpt]
FAIL Bug #27303 (OCIBindByName binds numeric PHP values as characters)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug27303_4.phpt]
FAIL Bug #32325 (Can't retrieve collection using OCI8)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug32325.phpt]
FAIL Bug #35973 (Error ORA-24806 occurs when trying to fetch a NCLOB field)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug35973.phpt]
FAIL Bug #36010 (Crash when executing SQL statment with lob parameter twice)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug36010.phpt]
FAIL Bug #36096 (oci_result() returns garbage after oci_fetch() failed)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug36096.phpt]
FAIL Bug #37581 (oci_bind_array_by_name clobbers input array when using
SQLT_AFC, AVC) [ext/oci8/tests/bug37581.phpt]
FAIL Bug #38161 (oci_bind_by_name() returns garbage when Oracle didn't set the
variable) [ext/oci8/tests/bug38161.phpt]
FAIL Bug #38173 (Freeing nested cursors causes OCI8 to segfault)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug38173.phpt]
FAIL Bug #40078 (ORA-01405 when fetching NULL values using
oci_bind_array_by_name()) [ext/oci8/tests/bug40078.phpt]
FAIL Bug #40415 (Using oci_fetchall with nested cursors)
[ext/oci8/tests/bug40415.phpt]
FAIL connect/close/connect [ext/oci8/tests/close.phpt]
FAIL oci_new_collection() [ext/oci8/tests/coll_001.phpt]
FAIL oci_new_collection() + free() [ext/oci8/tests/coll_002.phpt]
FAIL oci_new_collection() + free() [ext/oci8/tests/coll_002_func.phpt]
FAIL collection methods [ext/oci8/tests/coll_003.phpt]
FAIL collection methods [ext/oci8/tests/coll_003_func.phpt]
FAIL oci_collection_assign() [ext/oci8/tests/coll_004.phpt]
FAIL oci_collection_assign() [ext/oci8/tests/coll_004_func.phpt]
FAIL ocinewcollection() [ext/oci8/tests/coll_005.phpt]
FAIL ocinewcollection() + free() [ext/oci8/tests/coll_006.phpt]
FAIL ocinewcollection() + free() [ext/oci8/tests/coll_006_func.phpt]

> I have a problem when installing PHP 5 .2.3 with oracle 10.2.0, where as I do
> the following:
> ·         ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/php5
> --with-apxs2=/opt/apache2/bin/apxs --with-libxml-dir=/usr/local/lib
> --with-zlib --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-gd --enable-soap
> --enable-sockets --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/ --enable-exif --enable-ftp
> --with-oci8=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0
> --with-oracle=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0
> ·         Make
> ·         Make test
>
> I have  a fail on all OCIs issue.

So why did you continue with something that didn't work?

What were the errors?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/