php-general Digest 24 Feb 2008 09:38:34 -0000 Issue 5311

mysql_field_name
        269975 by: Emiliano Boragina

Re: temporary error
        269976 by: Andrés Robinet
        269981 by: Robert Cummings
        269984 by: Andrés Robinet

Re: validate + if
        269977 by: Richard Lynch

Re: while
        269978 by: Richard Lynch

Re: Session destruction problem
        269979 by: Adil Drissi

Question about PHP Licence and it's future!
        269980 by: Tamer Higazi
        269982 by: Robert Cummings
        269983 by: Andrés Robinet
        269985 by: Andrés Robinet
        269986 by: Andrés Robinet
        269987 by: Robert Cummings

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi list

I have the following code:

<?

         $base = "panel";

         $conexion = mysql_connect ( 'localhost' , 'root' , 'root' );

         mysql_select_db ( $base , $conexion );

         echo "<table border='1'>";

         $resultado = mysql_query ("select * from registro" , $conexion);

         while ( $registro = mysql_fetch_row ($resultado)) {

                   echo "<tr>";

                   foreach ( $registro as $clave ) {

                            echo "<td>" . mysql_field_name($resultado, '') .
"</td>";

                   }

                   echo "</tr>";

                   echo "<tr>";

                   foreach ( $registro as $clave ) {

                            echo "<td>" . $clave . "</td>";

         echo "</tr></table>";

?>

But the result is two TR with only the first field name of the DB.

I want to see all fields name of the DB and only in one TR… how can I do
that (in code please)?

Thanks.

+                                                                          _
   // Emiliano Boragina _

   // Diseño & Comunicación //////////////////
+                                                                          _

   // [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /
   // 15 40 58 60 02 ///////////////////////////
+                                                                          _

Why not? Many people believes in such a God, so he has a very high probability
of existence, and it has taken the worst part as nobody I know of is currently
praising and praying to him.
Maybe, it is about time to give some recognition to *the real God*:

"I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the
world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of
mankind." - Albert Einstein

At least this God seems not to incite people to kill other people, and doesn't
ask you to go to church every Sunday to put some money in the priest's pockets.

Regards,

Rob

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 |
TEL 954-607-4207 | FAX 954-337-2695 |
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | MSN Chat: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  SKYPE: bestplace |
 Web: bestplace.biz  | Web: seo-diy.com

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 20:11 -0500, Andrés Robinet wrote:
> [...]

You sir have homework:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwagon_effect
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Thinking

Cheers,
Rob.

LOL, I have to recognize that my previous email had some dirty tricks in it. I
was mostly being ironic. I'm actually more of an agnostic person (with some
atheism moments from time to time). So, let me clarify what I said and to whom
I said it:

*Many people believe in such a God, so he has a very high probability of
existence*:

To those who say that something exists because they believe in it. That can't
be true, since anybody can argue the opposite (something does not exist,
because they don't believe in it) and neither of them can be proved.
As both statements can't be true, we can assume there's no deterministic way in
which existence can be derived from belief. So we can propose as an alternate
hypothesis that existence is a probabilistic variable, proportional to the
number of believers, ergo, the aforementioned God has pretty good chance of
existence.
Furthermore, in order to simplify the problem we can compute the probability of
existence, in a weighted average fashion, using the metric *believer
contribution to the human race* (from now on called C), we get following
formula:

P(G) = SUM [ C(i)*X(i) ] / SUM [ C(i) ]

Were, P(G) is the *probability of existence of god G*, C(i) is the
aforementioned metric applied to person *i* and X is a binary variable, such
that:

X(i) = [*i* is a person: 1 if person *i* is a believer of god G, 0 otherwise]

We can even find joint probabilities for gods G1 and G2 and calculate all sorts
of statistic parameters. The only problem is determining C(i), that is, a
measure of the contribution of person *i* to the human race, but our team has
found a method for that. I can't get deeper into this, because I would be in
violation the NDA I have signed with NSA.
Interesting though, is that we can find gods that have more probability of
existence than an electron in the first level of energy of an hydrogen atom
(and we don't have such a complicated formula!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger_equation)
So this is more of a scientific reality (still being researched) than a bias in
our brains. And we must believe in science, *EVERYONE DOES*, right? (lol)

*and it has taken the worst part as nobody I know of is currently praising and
praying to him*

Just part of the (bogus) argument. I have not yet conducted a survey, but, why
would you praise a God if he has no implications in your life (hey, perhaps
that's how the *personal God* idea arose in human minds). And why would you
pray to him, if he's not interested in your fate or life and has zero
requirements to let you in his *private circle of trust*? (yes, I took that
from *The Fuckers* movie).

So, there are scientific studies to support my argument (call 0800-THE-NSA and
ask for Rob if you don't believe me). And at least a rational assumption also
(*and it has taken the worst part as nobody...*).
What bias are you talking about?

Regards,

Rob

PS. Please excuse me, I'll get a cup of coffee to improve synapses (lol). Btw,
do you think that the fact that most of us use footers in emails has something
to do with the Bandwagon Effect?

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 |
TEL 954-607-4207 | FAX 954-337-2695 |
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | MSN Chat: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  SKYPE: bestplace |
Web: bestplace.biz  | Web: seo-diy.com

If your "onClick" handler returns true (or is it false?) in JS, the
action won't happen.

Or something like that.

Google for it.

And you still need to validate server-side, as JS is easily bypassed.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?

On Sat, February 23, 2008 10:16 am, Emiliano Boragina wrote:
> <?
>
>          $buscar = $_REQUEST['buscar'];
>
>          $base = "inscripcion";
>
>          $conexion = mysql_connect ( 'localhost' , 'root' , 'root' );
>
>          mysql_select_db ( $base , $conexion );
>
>          echo "<table border='1'>";
>
>          $resultado = mysql_query ("select * from alumnos where Curso
> like
> '$buscar'" , $conexion);

echo "Found ", mysql_num_rows($resultado), " results.<br />\n";

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?
http://cdbaby.com/from/lynch
Yeah, I get a buck. So?

Hi,

I made an error i was using
unset($_SESSION["sessioname"]) instead of
unset($_SESSION). I'm sorry, but anyway, now i want to
give another detail. All the time i was testing with
opera. After testing in firefox and ie there is no
problem with the code i posted.

Thank you very much for your help

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
> <head>
> charset=utf-8" />
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
> href="../styles/style.css" media="screen" />
> <title>Login page</title>
> </head>
> <form name = "manage" action = "manage.php"
> method="post">
> 40px;height = 100%;">
> <center><table width = "100%" cellspacing="10">
> width = "50%" align = "left"><input type="text"
> name="login" /></td></tr>
> "right">Password</td><td
> width = "50%" align = "left"><input type="password"
> name="password" /></td></tr>
> <input type="submit" name="connect" value =
> "Connect"/>
> </center>
> </form>
>
> ------------- manage.php ------------
> //where the form posts data and here is where the
> session is created
>
> <?php
> session_start();
> $sessionid = session_id();
> $referer = @$HTTP_REFERER;
> if (isset($_REQUEST['connect'])){
>       $passwd = addslashes($_POST['password']);
>       $login = addslashes($_POST['login']);
>       require_once "../../../includes/connexion.php";
>       $sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM user WHERE login
> ='".$login."' and password = '".$passwd."'") or
> die("Incorrect username or password.");
>       $result = mysql_fetch_array($sql);
>       if (($result[0] != null)) {
>               $_SESSION['sessioname'] = $_POST['login'];
>       }
>       else Header ("Location: ./index.php");
>       mysql_close();
> }
> else if(!isset($_SESSION['sessioname'])) {
>                       Header ("Location: ./index.php");
> }
> ?>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
> Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
> <head>
> charset=utf-8" />
> </head>

> <?php
> if(isset( $_SESSION['sessioname'])) {
>               echo $_SESSION['sessioname'] ;
>               echo ", ". session_id();
>               echo ", <a href = 'logout.php'>Log Out</a>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;";
> }
> else echo "<a href = 'index.php'>Login</a>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;";
> ?>
>
> ------------ logout.php ------------------
> <?php
> session_start();
> unset($_SESSION["sessioname"]);
> $_SESSION = array();
> session_destroy();
> header("location: index.php");
> ?>
> --- Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, February 16, 2008 2:31 pm, Adil Drissi
> > wrote:
> > > I need help with sessions.
> > > I have a simple authentification relying only on
> > > sessions (i don't use cookies).
> >
> > Do you mean that you are also using the
> "no_cookie"
> > setting in PHP and
> > using the URL to pass around the session ID?
> >
> > Or jut that you don't use "extra" cookies on top
> of
> > the one PHP uses
> > by default?
> >
> > > After the user submits
> > > his username and password, the script checks if
> > that
> > > corresponds to a record in a mysql table. If
> this
> > is
> > > the case "$_SESSION['sessioname'] =
> > $_POST['login'];".
> > > the $_SESSION['sessioname'] is checked in
> > subsequent
> > > pages to see if the user is connected or not.
> > > The problem is after the user logs out, and
> after
> > that
> > > uses the previous button of the browser he
> becomes
> > > connected. How can i prevent this please.
> >
> > If the URL has the old session ID, and you aren't
> > destroying it
> > completely somehow, then they'll be logged in once
> > they go back to the
> > URL with the session ID.
> >
> > <?php
> > session_start();
> > unset($_SESSION["sessioname"]);
> > session_destroy();
> > header("location: index.php");
> > ?>
> >
> > If you want to destroy the session completely,
> use:
> > $_SESSION = array();
> > to wipe out ALL the session data.
> >
> > Also, on *some* browsers, sending the cookies
> > session_start (if you
> > are using cookies) and the Location: header with
> an
> > INCOMPLETE URL
> > means the browser will screw up.
> >
> > Use the COMPLETE URL in your header("Location")
> >
> > And use a capital "L" in Location, as well, to be
> > totally kosher, I
> > think.
> >
> > --
> > Some people have a "gift" link here.
> > Know what I want?
> > I want you to buy a CD from some indie artist.
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Hi!
I have asked myself a question. After I saw, that SAP will no more
release future Versions of their open source Database MaxDB under the
GPL License, I have asked myself either if this could happen with PHP.

Who owns PHP? Is it Zend Technologies or the PHP Group itself? "Who" is
the PHP Group and what makes the PHP Group?

Who guaranties that future Versions of PHP stays open source and are
being released under the Terms of the General Public Licenses?

Can future Versions from one day to the other no more being released
under the GPL, only under a closed source license? Let us say, PHP would
be distributed for several architectures only in binary forms and the
PECL modules stay open source.

These questions are for me very importand according to an commercial
product which will be planed, designed, written and sold commercially.

We are pendling between Ruby, Python and PHP5. Only the point "written"
is unclear.

for any answer

Thank you very much

Tamer Higazi

On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 06:50 +0200, Tamer Higazi wrote:
> Hi!
> I have asked myself a question. After I saw, that SAP will no more
> release future Versions of their open source Database MaxDB under the
> GPL License, I have asked myself either if this could happen with PHP.
>
> Who owns PHP? Is it Zend Technologies or the PHP Group itself? "Who" is
> the PHP Group and what makes the PHP Group?
>
> Who guaranties that future Versions of PHP stays open source and are
> being released under the Terms of the General Public Licenses?
>
> Can future Versions from one day to the other no more being released
> under the GPL, only under a closed source license? Let us say, PHP would
> be distributed for several architectures only in binary forms and the
> PECL modules stay open source.
>
> These questions are for me very importand according to an commercial
> product which will be planed, designed, written and sold commercially.
>
> We are pendling between Ruby, Python and PHP5. Only the point "written"
> is unclear.

It doesn't matter. The PHP code as it is has been released under the PHP
License. This means if the future versions were ever released under
another license that was exclusionary, then there is still the
opportunity to fork code released under the PHP license. Heck you can
fork the PHP project now if you felt you could get the ball rolling with
enough momentum for acceptance. If beleive the hardened PHP project is
considered a fork despite the fact it generally keeps full compatibility
while adding security enhancements.

Cheers,
Rob.

First off, PHP is not GPL-ed. Check this http://www.php.net/license/

Now, if all you plan to do is to *write PHP code you can sell*, I'd say you rest
assured. Nothing like MaxDB issue will ever happen to PHP (though things like
this could happen for PECL extensions who depend on third-party libraries I
think).

So, unless you are planning to distribute the Zend Scripting Engine ALONE as
part of a commercial product (say you want to use PHP to script against a
desktop application, like VBA works for MS Word), you are also safe about Zend.

Keep in mind also, that the worst problem with closed source software is lack of
support if the company goes out of business. I believe that will never happen to
PHP. It can happen to some extensions, but only those that rely on third-party
functionality (say, the mysql extension), so the problem is not PHP itself (and
you'll have the same problem for every other language).

As this is not an authoritative answer, you'd better off sending an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] explaining what you are planning to do and your concerns on
the
future of PHP.

Regards,

Rob

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 |
TEL 954-607-4207 | FAX 954-337-2695 |
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | MSN Chat: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  SKYPE: bestplace |
 Web: bestplace.biz  | Web: seo-diy.com

Rob,

Are you sure you can fork the *current* PHP version??? The hardened PHP project
still complains with the PHP license I think. I don't think the current PHP
version can be forked, you can fork PHP 3, but not PHP 5 for example. Maybe I'm
totally wrong, but it doesn't matter, I don't think PHP will change its license
in a substantial way, it wouldn't be profitable to anybody on the long run
(including Zend) and everyone would start switching to, say, RoR. Just my
uninformed and honest opinion.

Regards,

Rob (Other Rob that is actually called Andrés)

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 |
TEL 954-607-4207 | FAX 954-337-2695 |
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | MSN Chat: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  SKYPE: bestplace |
 Web: bestplace.biz  | Web: seo-diy.com

I meant *complies* not *complains* sorry (lol, I really need that cup of coffee
now)

Regards,

Rob

On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 03:49 -0500, Andrés Robinet wrote:
> [...]

Yes you can fork it. The hardened PHP project complains that they're not
allowed to use PHP in the name hence they use Suhosin. They mostly
complain because they asked for permission and were denied and yet
looking around you see things like PHPBB and other stuff including PHP
in the name. The difference however is that PHPBB uses PHP as it's
language but does not actually modify or distribute the PHP source
itself.

Specifically permission to fork is granted by this phrase:

    "Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with
     or without modification, is permitted provided that the
     following conditions are met:"

And then there's a bunch of things you must adhere to which are fairly
run of the mill.

Cheers,
Rob.