php-general Digest 26 Jul 2008 15:24:35 -0000 Issue 5590

Re: Code beautifier
        277352 by: tedd
        277353 by: mike
        277354 by: Daniel Brown
        277359 by: tedd

Re: Regular Expression help need
        277355 by: Shelley

Re: Since APC is no longer supported on Windows, can anyone else make
php_apc.dll for the newest 5.2.6 non-thread-safe?
        277356 by: T Lensselink

Test
        277357 by: Daniel Lambert
        277358 by: Jay Blanchard

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

At 6:47 PM -0400 7/25/08, Daniel Brown wrote:
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:29 PM, tedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > But, there's nothing wrong with starting a sentence with but.

 There, I even started AND ended with one.

    Correct, as I said, in "Reader's Digest" English.  In proper
grammar, it's tantamount to ending a sentence with a preposition[1].
However, even in Reader's Digest English (RDE[TM]), heading a word
with "but" is acceptable.... but following it immediately with a comma
is not[2].

    1: Hence the name, "pre-position" --- positioned before.
    2: http://www.michbar.org/journal/pdf/pdf4article628.pdf

As I see it, this is more of a "When to use a comma" thing than a "but" thing.

I use commas like I talk. For example, I would never say:

But that didn't happen.

Instead, I would say

But -- pause -- that didn't happen.

So, I write it:

But, that didn't happen.

The "But and pause" is used by me to get someone's attention before presenting my objection.

Now, one can argue if my method is proper or not -- but, I don't care. The purpose of writing is to communicate and I do that rather well.

I remember three discussions I had with teachers about writing -- one teacher in High School told me that no one intelligent would ever consider anything I had to say because of my obvious limitations. But, I still graduated from High School.

Another teacher marked me down from an A to a B in my last year in college because he said that he didn't want me to graduate with honors for I wasn't the "proper type" of person to represent his college as an honor student. But, I still graduated with honors.

The last one claimed that my use of commas was excessive in my MS thesis. But, I still published, defended my thesis, and received my MS.

So in the end, these were the things I remember being taught by "English" teachers. They taught me well -- but, nothing about writing. :-)

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------

On 7/25/08, tedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I do it all the time. In fact, I enjoy doing it (no I don't want to do it
> for anyone else).
>
> What I find interesting/entertaining is reducing the amount of code down to
> what's actually necessary and then reorganizing the code to make routines
> more optimum and generic. Most of the stuff I review is reduced
> considerably.
>
> In short, it's a great way for me to both learn and build my own library.
> When clients don't have me pounding keys for their service, I enjoy
> reviewing, rewriting code and creating demos.
>
> However, I would never use a Code beautifier because as I go through the
> code, the only code that get beautified is the code that I approve. When I
> see code formatted differently than mine, then I know it's suspect and I
> need to review it.

basically, quote what this guy says - this is me in a nutshell. i can
tell my code from others too, so i know if something's been fubared
that i've written :)

tedd you took the words out of my mouth about the subject.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:02 PM, tedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip="1920's_anecdote"]

> So in the end, these were the things I remember being taught by "English"
> teachers. They taught me well -- but, nothing about writing.  :-)

    That's one thing about being a teacher in an official capacity:
your students are likely to learn from you, even if it's not what
you're trying to teach them.

    In any case, it sounds like you've met people who prove the rather
offensive adage: "those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Better prices on dedicated servers:

At 10:53 PM -0400 7/25/08, Daniel Brown wrote:
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:02 PM, tedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip="1920's_anecdote"]

LOL

 So in the end, these were the things I remember being taught by "English"
 teachers. They taught me well -- but, nothing about writing.  :-)

    That's one thing about being a teacher in an official capacity:
your students are likely to learn from you, even if it's not what
you're trying to teach them.

    In any case, it sounds like you've met people who prove the rather
offensive adage: "those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

Yes, but this also tells me something about myself. In my younger years, my level of offensiveness provoked such non-professional conduct from others. Now I get it without having to do anything. :-)

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------

Ok, let me tell you what i want to achieve.
I want to transfer users' blog onto mobile phone, so I should convert
characters such as >, <, & (but not &amp;, or &gt;, or &lt;, etc) into xml
compatible ones, &gt;, &lt; &amp;.

Maybe there is some problem in my expression?

Waiting for your response...

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 3:30 AM, Micah Gersten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Are you trying to make it xml compatible or XHTML compatible?  '&' is
> not valid HTML or XHTML as it has special meaning. If you want it to
> adhere to the standard and display correctly, you must use '&amp;'
>
> Thank you,
> Micah Gersten
> onShore Networks
> Internal Developer
> http://www.onshore.com
>

> Shelley wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > Not exactly actually.
> >
> > What I mean is:
> >
> > I hope it's clear now.

> >> xml

> >> Not entirely sure what you're after (try posting some before and after
> >> snippets), but by the sounds of it you don't need a regular expression
> >> - strtr() will work for you. Or str_replace().
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard Heyes
> >> http://www.phpguru.org

With best regards,
Shelley Shyan
http://phparch.cn

steve wrote:
> Since APC is no longer supported on Windows, I can't download it from
> php.net. Can anyone else make php_apc.dll for the newest 5.2.6
> non-thread-safe windows version?
>
> Many thanks in advance...

I never heard anything about dropping support for windows.
And on pecl4win there is still a apc dll for the 5_2 branch..

http://pecl4win.php.net/ext.php/php_apc.dll

Just testing to see if this is correct address to email to.

Just testing to see if this is correct address to email to.

It depends on what you are asking