php-general Digest 7 Jan 2009 08:12:25 -0000 Issue 5887

Re: Import files from directory
        285508 by: Frank Stanovcak

Re: Because you guys/gals/girls/women/insert pc term here are a smart lot
        285509 by: Dotan Cohen
        285510 by: Nathan Rixham
        285511 by: Nathan Rixham
        285512 by: Eric Butera
        285513 by: Frank Stanovcak
        285514 by: Micah Gersten
        285515 by: Nathan Rixham
        285525 by: Chris
        285528 by: Paul M Foster

IE7 forçando download de arquivo *.php
        285516 by: Zechim
        285517 by: Maciek Sokolewicz

Re: Sending files via POST
        285518 by: Shawn McKenzie

Logic puzzle. Not a question. Just for fun
        285519 by: Frank Stanovcak
        285526 by: Chris

get file from object
        285520 by: Jack Bates
        285521 by: ceo.l-i-e.com
        285522 by: Eric Butera
        285523 by: Nathan Rixham
        285524 by: Nathan Rixham

Re: (auto) session expire
        285527 by: Micah Gersten

Firebird Backup
        285529 by: Sándor Tamás (HostWare Kft.)
        285532 by: Lester Caine

Re: IE7 forçando download de arquivo *.php
        285530 by: Jesús Enrique Muñoz Fernández

Request A Collection of YouTube Videos From Multiple User Accounts using
YouTube API
        285531 by: L. Herbert

I may be mistaken, but it seems to me you would be better served letting it
be file uploaded via php and process it as it arrives.  This would save the
chron run every 5 min, and dir search headaches.  Or is there an issue that
requires you to use an ftp transport?

http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/search?q=char+varchar+text+mysql

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Frank Stanovcak wrote:
So what I'm taking away from this is that I can index a text column, but that is relatively new. Based on experience with technology I'm going to guess it's not a very efficient index or search function yet. CHAR seems to be well entrenched, and the favorite for any column I may need to search against. I just need to be warry of the size limits and account for them in my program and data entry.

Does that seem to be the consensus?

certainly not from this end; all the column types have been around since forever and it's mroe about picking the appropriate type for the job.

If it's short variable length strings then use varchar.

If it's short fixed or max length strings that will most frequently sit with a length near max length then use char.

If it's a decent amount of text over 250 chars then use a text column.

For all three you can index them using normal indexes; or if you need to use the fulltext search features then you can add a fulltext index to the column(s) in need. (only with myisam tables).

You'll find the types are named v well, so if it's to hold fixed length char data use char, variable legnth char data then use varchar, bit of text use text, long bit of text use longtext and so on.

:)

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/5 Frank Stanovcak <blindspot...@comcast.net>:
>> It's been a while since I've programed (VB was on version 4) I was wondering
>> if any one could tell me what the diff is between char, varchar, and text in
>> mysql.
>> I know this isn't a mysql news group, but since I am using php for the
>> interaction it seemed like the place to ask.  Thanks in advance, and have a
>> great day!
>>
>> Frank
>>

> http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/search?q=char+varchar+text+mysql
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
>
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
> ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
> А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
> а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
> ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Nice :D

I know!
This ranks up there with redirecting people to www.ratemypoo.com when an
intrusion attempt is detected as part of the security measures.

Nathan Rixham wrote:
>>> char is fixed length and padded. If you don't fill up the space, the
>>> db does it for you (even though it seems it's internal only).
>>>
>>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/char.html
>>>
>>> When CHAR values are stored, they are right-padded with spaces to the
>>> specified length. When CHAR values are retrieved, trailing spaces are
>>> removed.
>>
>> So where's the advantage of VARCHAR ?
>>

> storage size richard, as if you use char(100) then a string(4) will
> still use the space of string(100); whereas with varchar(100) it's
> only take up it's real space of string(4).
>
> it' may seem like a small amount of space but when you have 8
> char(255) columns in a table with 10 million rows you'd noticed the
> difference considerably.

Actually string(4) in a varchar(100) will take up 5 bytes, but that's
still better than 100.

Thank you,
Micah Gersten
onShore Networks
Internal Developer
http://www.onshore.com

Frank Stanovcak wrote:
I know!
This ranks up there with redirecting people to www.ratemypoo.com when an intrusion attempt is detected as part of the security measures.

ahh i redirect them to the endless sixapart atom stream seing as it's normally spiders/bots - slows them down a bit :p
Nathan Rixham wrote:
chris smith wrote:
It may be worth mentioning that, IIRC, CHAR is faster due to the fixed
length. If you can make your table use a fixed length row size (ie no
variable length columns), it'll be faster.

I'd be interested in seeing tests about this.. I doubt there's any difference.

quote: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-size.html
For MyISAM tables, if you do not have any variable-length columns (VARCHAR, TEXT, or BLOB columns), a fixed-size row format is used. *This is faster but unfortunately may waste some space.* See Section 13.4.3, “MyISAM Table Storage Formats”. You can hint that you want to have fixed length rows even if you have VARCHAR columns with the CREATE TABLE option ROW_FORMAT=FIXED.

It'd still be interesting to see if it made any noticeable difference (I'm guessing not until you get into rather large db's).

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:38:03AM +1100, Chris wrote:

> Nathan Rixham wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in seeing tests about this.. I doubt there's any
>>> difference.
>>
>> quote: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-size.html
>> For MyISAM tables, if you do not have any variable-length columns
>> (VARCHAR, TEXT, or BLOB columns), a fixed-size row format is used. *This
>> is faster but unfortunately may waste some space.* See Section 13.4.3,
>> ?MyISAM Table Storage Formats?. You can hint that you want to have fixed
>> length rows even if you have VARCHAR columns with the CREATE TABLE
>> option ROW_FORMAT=FIXED.
>
> It'd still be interesting to see if it made any noticeable difference
> (I'm guessing not until you get into rather large db's).

FWIW, this is *not* the case with PostgreSQL, according to this note
from the PostgreSQL website:

Tip:  There are no performance differences between these three types,
apart from the increased storage size when using the blank-padded type.
While character(n) has performance advantages in some other database
systems, it has no such advantages in PostgreSQL. In most situations
text or character varying should be used instead.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/datatype-character.html

Paul
--
Paul M. Foster

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Boa tarde pessoal, estou com um problema no ie7, tenho um atendimento on-line em um site, funciona corretamente em outros browers, mas no ie7, quando tento abrir a página do chat, ela força o download e não exibe o html na tela, como se fosse um link para download.
Zechim wrote:
Boa tarde pessoal, estou com um problema no ie7, tenho um atendimento on-line em um site, funciona corretamente em outros browers, mas no ie7, quando tento abrir a página do chat, ela força o download e não exibe o html na tela, como se fosse um link para download.

What makes you think people on this list will understand what you just said? This is an _english_ list. So, if you want an answer to your question, please repeat it in English. As for the answer, you probably are sending incorrect, or too few, headers. But that would majorly depend on what you really want to know (I just assumed that you mean to ask "why does IE7 download archives (eg. zips) as .php files instead of the actual whatever.zip, and how do I fix that?")

Anders Norrbring wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 14:14, Anders Norrbring <li...@norrbring.se>
>> wrote:
>>> *bump*
>>     Please don't "bump" threads, Anders.  This is not a traditional
>> web-based user forum.  You've provided no additional data, so there is
>> no need to bring this thread up again.  If you want to get more
>> attention to it, you will need to send a reply to the list with
>> updated information.  The last response in this thread was from Nathan
>> Rixham.  If you didn't receive that message, you can find it in the
>> archives, or I'll be glad to forward it to you.  If it didn't solve
>> your problem, you can say so and folks here will be happy to help you
>> further.
>

> I provided some additional data at 2009-01-01 09:33.. (That would be GMT+1
> hour)
> But after that.. I didn't get *anything* at all, not from Nathan, not from
> anybody else.
>
> And I'm fully aware of the distinctions between a mailing list and a web
> based forum. After all, I've been in this business (computers and
> communications) since 1979 (Yeah, I'm that old...). But I didn't get any
> replies whatsoever, neither in private nor in the list, therefore I felt an
> urge to do something to draw some attention to this matter.
>
> And yes Daniel, I'm fully aware that my specific question isn't a PHP
> general issue, but a PEAR related issue, more specific it's related to
> PEAR:HTTP_Request, nevertheless I firmly believe it's of common interest.
>
> If you don't share my view, I'll be happy to be flamed in private, not on
> list.

Oh, you may not be happy, but you may well be flamed on list :-)

--
Thanks!
-Shawn

This is verbatim from the manufacturer except I replaced the code info with
vanilia filler to keep from getting in trouble with them.

See how long it takes you to write the shortest SQL code that returns all
State a and State f records.

If this seems simple to you remember I have no formal training in logic
structure or DB design, and yes I know the answer.  E-mail me if you want
it.

Frank.

the value of a status field is given in the sdk text as such...
------------
...This number is determined by adding the following values together:

State a = 0
State b = 1
State c = 2
State d = 3
State e = 4
State f = 5
State g = 6
State h = 255
+
State i:
No = 0
Yes = 256
+
State j:
No = 0
Yes = 1024
+
State k:
No = 0
Yes = 4096
+
State l:
No = 0
Yes = 8192
+
State m:
No = 0
Yes = 16384

Example: a State a, State i, State k will have a value of
0 + 256 + 4096 = 4352

If this seems simple to you remember I have no formal training in logic structure or DB design

Neither do I - and probably a lot of others here too ;)

the value of a status field is given in the sdk text as such...
------------
...This number is determined by adding the following values together:

State a = 0
State b = 1
State c = 2

What a bizarre design :(

Example: a State a, State i, State k will have a value of
0 + 256 + 4096 = 4352

So does 256 + 4096. State 'a' has no significant value. If it's not included, you get the same as if it is... unless I'm missing something (which is more than likely).

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

How do I get the file where a class is defined, from an instance of that
class?

As far as I know, that's not readily available...

However, you could do an ob_start() and/or a try/catch and try to re-define the
class, and then ignore the error and continue.

I believe the PHP error message you get will have the file and line where the
original class was defined, so you can get it out of that text.

Very much a hack, eh? :-v

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Jack Bates <ms...@freezone.co.uk> wrote:
> How do I get the file where a class is defined, from an instance of that
> class?
What are you trying to do?

Jack Bates wrote:
How do I get the file where a class is defined, from an instance of that
class?

you could hack around with exceptions or simply use Reflection.. it's all provided for you

$testObject = new YourClass();

$class = new ReflectionClass( $testObject );
echo $class->getFileName() . PHP_EOL;
echo $class->getStartLine() . PHP_EOL;
echo $class->getEndline() . PHP_EOL;

Nathan Rixham wrote:
Jack Bates wrote:
How do I get the file where a class is defined, from an instance of that
class?

you could hack around with exceptions or simply use Reflection.. it's all provided for you

$testObject = new YourClass();

$class = new ReflectionClass( get_class($testObject) );
echo $class->getFileName() . PHP_EOL;
echo $class->getStartLine() . PHP_EOL;
echo $class->getEndline() . PHP_EOL;

apologies.. see the get_class addition above; should really check code before hitting send!
Shiplu wrote:
> This is a very common issue. I searched and found many sites talking
> about this. but no good solution.
> Well the problem is I want to set my session will expire after 10
> minutes of inactivity. Just like an banking site.
> When user is inactive for 10 minutes the session will expire. In fact
> the browser will delete the cookie.
> The browser will delete the cookie because it was told by the server.
> I used these lines
>
> session_cache_expire(APP_SESSION_TIMEOUT);
> session_set_cookie_params(APP_SESSION_TIMEOUT*60);
> ini_set("session.gc_maxlifetime", APP_SESSION_TIMEOUT * 60);
> session_start();
>
> It runs at the very beginning of my application. APP_SESSION_TIMEOUT
> has value 10 which is in minutes.
>
> The problem is it works good in FF3. But not in IE.
>
> Any Idea how to resolve it? or any standard way to fix it?

Why are you setting the session max lifetime on the server to 60 * your
timeout?  Set it to your timeout and the server will get rid of the session.

Thank you,
Micah Gersten
onShore Networks
Internal Developer
http://www.onshore.com

Hi,

I don't know if it's Firebird or PHP question.

I want to use remote administration on one of my pages, at least do a backup for a Firebird database. Because the database file is located on a different intranet machine, I have to use service manager to do backup.
So I tried:

$svc_mgr = ibase_service_attach(FBSERVER, FBUSER, FBPASS);
if ($svc_mgr)
{
$bkp = ibase_backup($svc_mgr, $source_db, $dest_file, IBASE_BKP_NO_GARBAGE_COLLECT, true);
}

ibase_service_detach($svc_mgr);

The bad thing: if I include "server:" in $source_db string, it gives me an "unkown ISC 0 error". When I simply put the database alias in $source_db, it freezes the whole apache, but at least it starts the backup... Then, when I turn off verbose, it does nothing at all, but gives back a "true" value.

So I think the closest solution is the second one, but does anybody have any idea why it shuts down apache? And what can I do to prevent this?

I use Firebird 2.1, PHP 5.2.8 and Apache 2.2.3 on WinXP (as a development environment)

Thanks,
SanTa
Sándor Tamás (HostWare Kft.) wrote:
Hi,

I don't know if it's Firebird or PHP question.
Bit of both - probably worth moving to the firebird-php list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/firebird-php/

[...]

ibase_backup is not something we would use normally. I think that things have advanced somewhat since the function was created, and I suspect it simply does not know about those changes. I've not checked what ibWebAdmin does currently :( One of the nice features of Firebird is the ability to backup while still working with the database, and so it's more normal to have backup happening as a background task, or via one of the management tools.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Digite o URL do seu site, acho que seria um pouco mais ilustrativos desta
maneira para tentar identificar o problema.

 Saudações

Please send us the url of your site, maybe we can identify the problem and give
you a solution....

Greetings

> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:44:39 +0100
> To: zechim....@gmail.com
> CC: php-gene...@lists.php.net
> From: tula...@gmail.com
> Subject: Re: [PHP] IE7 forçando download de arquivo *.php
>
> Zechim wrote:
> > Boa tarde pessoal, estou com um problema no ie7, tenho um atendimento
> > on-line em um site, funciona corretamente em outros browers, mas no ie7,
> > quando tento abrir a página do chat, ela força o download e não exibe o
> > html na tela, como se fosse um link para download.
>
> What makes you think people on this list will understand what you just
> said? This is an _english_ list. So, if you want an answer to your
> question, please repeat it in English.
> As for the answer, you probably are sending incorrect, or too few,
> headers. But that would majorly depend on what you really want to know
> (I just assumed that you mean to ask "why does IE7 download archives
> (eg. zips) as .php files instead of the actual whatever.zip, and how do
> I fix that?")

Algo más que mensajes: comprueba el resto de Windows Live™.

Greetings all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a collection of YouTube videos from multiple user accounts? If so, can you provide some insight and direction?

Someone more knowledgeable than me on this topic indicated that it is only possible get a collection of YouTube videos on a per account basis. On its face this make sense to me but I'm just getting a second opinion.

I realize I can loop requests via the API and format the results as needed, but was hoping for a more streamlined option.

Thanks in advance