php-general Digest 16 Jan 2011 07:05:22 -0000 Issue 7135

Re: which php file is sending emails?
        310787 by: Nilesh Govindarajan
        310788 by: Daniel Brown
        310791 by: Nilesh Govindarajan
        310792 by: David Hutto
        310793 by: Jim Lucas

Distributed File Purchase Encryption (DFPE)
        310789 by: Fernando Amorim
        310790 by: Ashley Sheridan

On 01/15/2011 11:13 PM, Daniel Brown wrote:
On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 12:21, Nilesh Govindarajan<nil...@itech7.com>  wrote:
On 01/15/2011 10:22 PM, Jim Lucas wrote:

Um, I use OpenBSD and that command gives me an error or two...

$ grep -l mail $(find -name *.php)
find: unknown option -- n
find: unknown option -- a
find: unknown option -- m
find: unknown option -- e
formmail.php

$ grep -l mail $(find ./ -name "*.php")
Output a big long list of files...

So the second one is right.

     His point was in the irony --- you sent a rather insulting message
to the OP suggesting he needs to "revise [his] sysadmin skills,"
whereas your own example was broken.  Probably just a typo, but
something worth a second thought for next time.

hahaha, that command wasn't broken. It works on Linux. But certain commands have to be changed to work on *BSD.

For example, chmod u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory -R will work on linux, but will not on FreeBSD. It has to be changed to chmod -R u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory.

--
Regards,
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 13:51, Nilesh Govindarajan <nil...@itech7.com> wrote:

> hahaha, that command wasn't broken. It works on Linux. But certain commands
> have to be changed to work on *BSD.
>
> For example, chmod u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory -R will work on linux, but will
> not on FreeBSD. It has to be changed to chmod -R u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory.

    Oh, I get it.  So you deliberately give bad commands to people to
teach them differences.  I mean, you know the difference, and the OP
did mention that he's using FreeBSD, so that must be the only
explanation, right?

    And yes, I know it works on Linux.  I'm just messing with you.  ;-P

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager

On 01/16/2011 12:45 AM, Daniel Brown wrote:
On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 13:51, Nilesh Govindarajan<nil...@itech7.com>  wrote:

hahaha, that command wasn't broken. It works on Linux. But certain commands
have to be changed to work on *BSD.

For example, chmod u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory -R will work on linux, but will
not on FreeBSD. It has to be changed to chmod -R u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory.

     Oh, I get it.  So you deliberately give bad commands to people to
teach them differences.  I mean, you know the difference, and the OP
did mention that he's using FreeBSD, so that must be the only
explanation, right?

     And yes, I know it works on Linux.  I'm just messing with you.  ;-P

Okay now this is turning into a war :D We're deviating from the original topic.
Anyways, I'm not a regular *BSD user :D
So some commands may be broken :D :D

--

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan <nil...@itech7.com> wrote:
> On 01/16/2011 12:45 AM, Daniel Brown wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 13:51, Nilesh Govindarajan<nil...@itech7.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> hahaha, that command wasn't broken. It works on Linux. But certain
>>> commands
>>> have to be changed to work on *BSD.
>>>
>>> For example, chmod u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory -R will work on linux, but
>>> will
>>> not on FreeBSD. It has to be changed to chmod -R u=rwx,g=rwx,o=
>>> directory.
>>
>>     Oh, I get it.  So you deliberately give bad commands to people to
>> teach them differences.  I mean, you know the difference, and the OP
>> did mention that he's using FreeBSD, so that must be the only
>> explanation, right?
>>
>>     And yes, I know it works on Linux.  I'm just messing with you.  ;-P
>>

> Okay now this is turning into a war :D We're deviating from the original
> topic.
> Anyways, I'm not a regular *BSD user :D
> So some commands may be broken :D :D
>
> --
> Regards,
> Nilesh Govindarajan
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
> Website: http://www.itech7.com

And the computational atheist's have a religion.
--
Sometimes...my mama...says I get over excited about technology.

On 1/15/2011 10:51 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> On 01/15/2011 11:13 PM, Daniel Brown wrote:

>>> So the second one is right.
>>
>>      His point was in the irony --- you sent a rather insulting message
>> to the OP suggesting he needs to "revise [his] sysadmin skills,"
>> whereas your own example was broken.  Probably just a typo, but
>> something worth a second thought for next time.
>>

> hahaha, that command wasn't broken. It works on Linux. But certain commands
> have
> to be changed to work on *BSD.
>
> For example, chmod u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory -R will work on linux, but will
> not
> on FreeBSD. It has to be changed to chmod -R u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory.

Ok, are you trying to pull our chain here???  Which version of Linux?  I have
tried your example on CentOS release 4.2 (Final), and CentOS release 5.5
(Final), and it gives me this

# grep -l mail $(find -name *.php)
find: paths must precede expression
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [path...] [expression]

and it just sits there waiting for input, just like grep would if I did this

# grep -l mail

I have to surround the name value in quotes to make it work.  Like so...

# grep -l mail $(find -name "*.php")

So, please, within what version of Linux does your example work?

If you are going to give advice and want to contribute good working example code
to the archives of this mailing list, please, for everybody's benefit make sure
the code example works as expected.  Or, if it is to used as a guide to get the
person thinking, say that.

Jim Lucas

I was thinking in something , is not quite php related, but I was thinking
of an app that would encrypt a file (that file could be anything) and the
author would create an encryption key giving an amount of money to be
collected. It would become public and anyone could give as much money as
wanted. when the needed amount was reached the file would be public to
anyone (decrypted). does it make sense?

I am calling it "Distributed File Purchase Encryption" (DFPE)

~birdzoom

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 20:42 +0000, Fernando Amorim wrote:

> I was thinking in something , is not quite php related, but I was thinking
> of an app that would encrypt a file (that file could be anything) and the
> author would create an encryption key giving an amount of money to be
> collected. It would become public and anyone could give as much money as
> wanted. when the needed amount was reached the file would be public to
> anyone (decrypted). does it make sense?
>
> I am calling it "Distributed File Purchase Encryption" (DFPE)
>
> ~birdzoom

It makes sense, and it is possible with PHP, but what doesn't make sense
is posting the idea here, before doing anything about protecting it!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk