php-general Digest 7 Jun 2011 01:12:00 -0000 Issue 7348

Re: phpsadness - P.C. shmee seee.
        313410 by: tedd
        313411 by: tedd

CodeBubbles for Eclipse Beta available!
        313412 by: Daevid Vincent

Re: PHP download page blocking other HTTP requests
        313413 by: Richard Quadling

Going crazy with include & require not working
        313414 by: Brian Dunning
        313415 by: Michael Shadle

Re: Help needed with php.ini
        313416 by: Joe Francis

At 8:36 AM -0400 6/6/11, Robert Cummings wrote:
On 11-06-06 05:18 AM, Richard Quadling wrote:
On 6 June 2011 01:44, Robert Cummings<rob...@interjinn.com>  wrote:
On 11-06-05 07:28 PM, Richard Quadling wrote:
There is another approach. Regressive Enhancement.

Essentially, create your site with all the bells and whistles enabled.
Make full use of all / any standards compliant feature.

For browsers not capable of supporting that, use emulation techniques.

Sitepoint have a blog about this technique :

http://blogs.sitepoint.com/regressive-enhancement-with-modernizr-and-yepnope/

 From my cursory read... regressive enhancement would need to rely on
progressive enhancement to work :) If there's no JavaScript to do the
lifting, then how can you regress?

An interesting read all the same. It's kind of like the compatibility layer
PEAR releases for older versions of PHP so they have access to newer
functions and stuff but implemented in PHP rather than C.

Cheers,
Rob.

If you were to start with a full bells and whistles HTML5/CSS3 site,
then you would already have an issue with very very old and / or non
visual browsers I think.

If they don't have JS, then the level of FOOBAR is going to be even greater.

So. Interesting but maybe useless.

But it's an established fact that websites can be presented without JavaScript. It may look old-fashioned, but everyone can view it. Even in Netscape 4 a site can be readable (even if ugly). Exclusively require JavaScript to view the content and this is no longer the case. That's the problem with regressive enhancement, it requires feature X to be enabled to facilitate the regression... which isn't very regressive. If it can be viewed in lynx then there's a good chance it can be viewed/read aloud by anything. Yes, you might not be able to view some HTML 5 canvas application, but there's nothing preventing you from having a paragraph with a brief description and a link to an image which is then progressively enhanced to the full blown HTML 5 canvas version. I think regressive enhancement is a good idea, just that one shouldn't throw out progressive enhancement when ideally (yes I'm an idealist :) the two would work best together...

    - vanilla website
    - progressively enhance
    - regressively enhance where feature Y can be implemented given
      that feature X exists.

Cheers,
Rob.

To all:

+1

Rob is right-on (as usual, he's annoying that way).

Start basic and progressively enhance. If you do it the other way, chances are that you'll screw up along the way.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com/

At 10:18 AM +0100 6/6/11, Richard Quadling wrote:
If you were to start with a full bells and whistles HTML5/CSS3 site,
then you would already have an issue with very very old and / or non
visual browsers I think.

If they don't have JS, then the level of FOOBAR is going to be even greater.

So. Interesting but maybe useless.

Richard Quadling

That's why we get paid the big bucks.

However, I start with the basics and then add-on.

From my perspective and practice, the main point is to get what you got to say out there and then make it better for those who can support it.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com/

While not PHP specifically, this is a plugin for Eclipse that is an entirely
new paradigm in coding IDE and I've been watching & waiting for it for over
a year now.

I post it here because
[a] it's pretty much the coolest thing since the invention of the IDE
itself.
[b] it's real and actually not vaporware
[c] it's NOW open sourced!!
[d] I'm hoping someone will take the reins and start a PHP version

Code Bubbles Beta generally available for Java on top of Eclipse!!
http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/spr/codebubbles/

More info here:
http://www.andrewbragdon.com/codebubbles_site.asp
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/3854

On 6 June 2011 13:55, Pete Ford <p...@justcroft.com> wrote:
> Is there something on the Apache/PHP end that might be causing this
> blocking? (Apache 2.2.10, PHP 5.2.14)

The browser and / or OS may be obeying the settings about the number
of simultaneous connections per host.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110 /
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt 8.1.4 Practical Considerations ...

"   Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the number of
   simultaneous connections that they maintain to a given server. A
   single-user client SHOULD NOT maintain more than 2 connections with
   any server or proxy. A proxy SHOULD use up to 2*N connections to
   another server or proxy, where N is the number of simultaneously
   active users. These guidelines are intended to improve HTTP response
   times and avoid congestion."

Also, (from googling)
http://forums.serverbeach.com/showthread.php?6192-Max-Concurrent-Connections-Per-Host,
mod_throttle and/or mod_bandwidth may be capable of restricting the
number and/or speed of connections.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend : PHPDoc

Here's my code:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
require_once('/var/www/mysite/includes/fpdi.php');
require_once('/var/www/mysite/includes/fpdf.php');

I have used fpdf many times and never had a problem with it. I've double
checked my pathnames until I'm blue in the face. But for some reason, the
script just STOPS at these lines. I've tried include, include_once, require,
require_once and no error gets reported, it just stops. Help?

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Brian Dunning <br...@briandunning.com> wrote:
> Here's my code:
>
> error_reporting(E_ALL);
> require_once('/var/www/mysite/includes/fpdi.php');
> require_once('/var/www/mysite/includes/fpdf.php');

try adding this too:
ini_set('display_errors', 1);

I've realized I've had to do that before on many systems because it's
not enabled

random note: you don't need parens on require / include stuff since
they're not actually functions

I remember that there's 2 php.ini in Fedora, one is for SAPI like apache or
other CGIServer, and another is for CLI.

Can you confirm that you edited  a right config file?