php-general Digest 29 Jun 2011 07:37:49 -0000 Issue 7381

Re: caching problem
        313781 by: Fatih P.
        313782 by: Stuart Dallas
        313783 by: Fatih P.
        313784 by: Stuart Dallas
        313785 by: admin.buskirkgraphics.com
        313786 by: Steve Staples
        313787 by: Fatih P.
        313788 by: Micky Hulse
        313789 by: Stuart Dallas

Re: asynchronous launch of a script
        313790 by: David Harkness
        313791 by: Stuart Dallas
        313801 by: David Harkness

best ways to recruit volunteers for a PHP framework
        313792 by: jean-baptiste verrey
        313793 by: Jay Blanchard
        313794 by: jean-baptiste verrey
        313795 by: Stuart Dallas
        313796 by: Micky Hulse
        313797 by: Christopher Lee

PHP 5.4.0alpha1 released
        313798 by: David Soria Parra
        313799 by: Tim Streater
        313800 by: David Soria Parra

Connection usign SSL with a JAVA Server
        313802 by: Mariano Cano

Re: [PHP-DB] Re: radio form submission
        313803 by: Tamara Temple

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM, <ad...@buskirkgraphics.com> wrote:

> Faith,
>
> I actually did read from the beginning of the message.
>
> That does not make sense.
> PHP files are cached intentionally, the system does not Cache PHP on its
> own.
> Sounds to me like you have an issue re-declaring an object or calling the
> right script/path/class/method something.
>

> I have never heard of PHP being cached unless it was intentionally cached
> it. Thank god for security reason!!!!!
> HTML output?? Sure all the time helps the browser load the content faster.
>
> I have a real issue with who ever told you that PHP is being cached,
> because if that was the case there is SERIOUS security hole in your PHP.
> I am doubting that.
>
> I have cached PHP, it can be done.
>
> Are you using APC(Alternative PHP Cache)???
>
> I would not suggest it with complex scripting using classes and methods
> they are the whole reason NOT to cache.
>

> That’s just my opinion.
>
> Richard L. Buskirk

Well, seems you didn't read it carefully even to write my name correctly. if
this is an issue with PHP then it is an
issue with PHP. AsI said I am using pre-compiled binaries with default
settings. also mentioned no caching is
enabled to cache anything.  And NO i am not using APC either or something
else!!!

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Fatih P. <fatihpirist...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM, <ad...@buskirkgraphics.com> wrote:
>
> > Faith,
> >
> > I actually did read from the beginning of the message.
> >
> > That does not make sense.
> > PHP files are cached intentionally, the system does not Cache PHP on its
> > own.
> > Sounds to me like you have an issue re-declaring an object or calling the
> > right script/path/class/method something.
> >

> > I have never heard of PHP being cached unless it was intentionally cached
> > it. Thank god for security reason!!!!!
> > HTML output?? Sure all the time helps the browser load the content
> faster.
> >
> > I have a real issue with who ever told you that PHP is being cached,
> > because if that was the case there is SERIOUS security hole in your PHP.
> > I am doubting that.
> >
> > I have cached PHP, it can be done.
> >
> > Are you using APC(Alternative PHP Cache)???
> >
> > I would not suggest it with complex scripting using classes and methods
> > they are the whole reason NOT to cache.
> >

> > That’s just my opinion.
> >
> > Richard L. Buskirk
> >

> Well, seems you didn't read it carefully even to write my name correctly.
> if
> this is an issue with PHP then it is an
> issue with PHP. AsI said I am using pre-compiled binaries with default
> settings. also mentioned no caching is
> enabled to cache anything.  And NO i am not using APC either or something
> else!!!

Fatih, please explain what you mean by "the code files are being cached. and
modifications in methods are skipped
and not executed." How are you getting the modified files onto the server,
and how are you running the scripts? Are you working directly on the server,
or are you uploading the files to the server via FTP, SCP or some other
mechanism?

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Stuart Dallas <stu...@3ft9.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Fatih P. <fatihpirist...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM, <ad...@buskirkgraphics.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Faith,
>> >
>> > I actually did read from the beginning of the message.
>> >
>> > That does not make sense.
>> > PHP files are cached intentionally, the system does not Cache PHP on its
>> > own.
>> > Sounds to me like you have an issue re-declaring an object or calling
>> the
>> > right script/path/class/method something.
>> >

>> > I have never heard of PHP being cached unless it was intentionally
>> cached
>> > it. Thank god for security reason!!!!!
>> > HTML output?? Sure all the time helps the browser load the content
>> faster.
>> >
>> > I have a real issue with who ever told you that PHP is being cached,
>> > because if that was the case there is SERIOUS security hole in your PHP.
>> > I am doubting that.
>> >
>> > I have cached PHP, it can be done.
>> >
>> > Are you using APC(Alternative PHP Cache)???
>> >
>> > I would not suggest it with complex scripting using classes and methods
>> > they are the whole reason NOT to cache.
>> >

>> > That’s just my opinion.
>> >
>> > Richard L. Buskirk
>> >

>> Well, seems you didn't read it carefully even to write my name correctly.
>> if
>> this is an issue with PHP then it is an
>> issue with PHP. AsI said I am using pre-compiled binaries with default
>> settings. also mentioned no caching is
>> enabled to cache anything.  And NO i am not using APC either or something
>> else!!!
>>

> Fatih, please explain what you mean by "the code files are being cached.
> and modifications in methods are skipped
> and not executed." How are you getting the modified files onto the server,
> and how are you running the scripts? Are you working directly on the server,
> or are you uploading the files to the server via FTP, SCP or some other
> mechanism?
>
> -Stuart
>
> --
> Stuart Dallas
> 3ft9 Ltd
> http://3ft9.com/

OK, this is a development machine, everything is running on it. nothing is
being uploaded  through ftp, scp or something else.
all kind of content caching is disabled.

and what I mean by the code files are being cached is: after the
modifications, i do get the result which was produced before modification.
which shows
that the file is not being interpreted by php. how i get to this point that
I see errors after restarting the machine which were not there during coding
or when
i dump an object it doesn't show up anything other than previous content.

to recover this situation,  either I have to restart httpd which sometimes
does work or when it gets more problematic,
i have to crush httpd / php on start. and only having this problem on
windows machines.

sounds funny to most of you but it is happening

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Fatih P. <fatihpirist...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Stuart Dallas <stu...@3ft9.com> wrote:
>
>> Fatih, please explain what you mean by "the code files are being cached.
>> and modifications in methods are skipped
>> and not executed." How are you getting the modified files onto the server,
>> and how are you running the scripts? Are you working directly on the server,
>> or are you uploading the files to the server via FTP, SCP or some other
>> mechanism?
>>
>> OK, this is a development machine, everything is running on it. nothing is
> being uploaded  through ftp, scp or something else.
> all kind of content caching is disabled.
>
> and what I mean by the code files are being cached is: after the
> modifications, i do get the result which was produced before modification.
> which shows
> that the file is not being interpreted by php. how i get to this point that
> I see errors after restarting the machine which were not there during coding
> or when
> i dump an object it doesn't show up anything other than previous content.
>
> to recover this situation,  either I have to restart httpd which sometimes
> does work or when it gets more problematic,
> i have to crush httpd / php on start. and only having this problem on
> windows machines.
>
> sounds funny to most of you but it is happening

I'm sure it is happening, I don't doubt that, but there's probably a very
simple explanation.

What browser are you using? Certain older browsers such as IE6 have their
own ideas about whether pages should be cached or not. You can usually
bypass the browser cache by holding control and/or shift while clicking on
the refresh button. Try that next time this happens.

Other possibilities include filesystem issues, such that the OS is not
seeing that the file has been changed - there are levels of caching on
modern operating systems that most people, quite correctly, are not aware
of. The likelihood of this being the cause is miniscule.

If you're absolutely certain that you are not using any opcode caching (you
mentioned that you are using pre-compiled binaries, and it's possible they
include APC or similar by default), then I have no idea what's going on
beyond what I and others have already suggested.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd

Fatih,
        I am sorry spell check auto corrected your name, I was not changing
your name on purpose.
It was not my intension to piss you off.

I understand your frustration, trust me.
I am running 5.3.6 on Windows Server 2008 R2 IIS, I am running massive class
based methods in my own framework.
I am trying to help you narrow down the issue. I never blame PHP first because
in my trouble shooting steps, I never get to PHP before I find the issue.

Segmentation Faults: that prevent the php script from completing locking up
resources and causing a nightmare chain of events. It dumps the process at the
fail point can look like it is a PHP thing but it is not. This can explain
sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

This can be caused by a host of reasons:
Buffer Overflow,
Attempting to access memory the program does not own. (This also points to
Storage Violations)
Using uninitialized pointers,
Dereferencing Null pointers

Again suggestions please do not take offense.

Richard L. Buskirk

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 17:34 +0100, Stuart Dallas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Fatih P. <fatihpirist...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Stuart Dallas <stu...@3ft9.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Fatih, please explain what you mean by "the code files are being cached.
> >> and modifications in methods are skipped
> >> and not executed." How are you getting the modified files onto the server,
> >> and how are you running the scripts? Are you working directly on the
> >> server,
> >> or are you uploading the files to the server via FTP, SCP or some other
> >> mechanism?
> >>
> >> OK, this is a development machine, everything is running on it. nothing is
> > being uploaded  through ftp, scp or something else.
> > all kind of content caching is disabled.
> >
> > and what I mean by the code files are being cached is: after the
> > modifications, i do get the result which was produced before modification.
> > which shows
> > that the file is not being interpreted by php. how i get to this point that
> > I see errors after restarting the machine which were not there during coding
> > or when
> > i dump an object it doesn't show up anything other than previous content.
> >
> > to recover this situation,  either I have to restart httpd which sometimes
> > does work or when it gets more problematic,
> > i have to crush httpd / php on start. and only having this problem on
> > windows machines.
> >
> > sounds funny to most of you but it is happening
> >

> I'm sure it is happening, I don't doubt that, but there's probably a very
> simple explanation.
>
> What browser are you using? Certain older browsers such as IE6 have their
> own ideas about whether pages should be cached or not. You can usually
> bypass the browser cache by holding control and/or shift while clicking on
> the refresh button. Try that next time this happens.
>
> Other possibilities include filesystem issues, such that the OS is not
> seeing that the file has been changed - there are levels of caching on
> modern operating systems that most people, quite correctly, are not aware
> of. The likelihood of this being the cause is miniscule.
>
> If you're absolutely certain that you are not using any opcode caching (you
> mentioned that you are using pre-compiled binaries, and it's possible they
> include APC or similar by default), then I have no idea what's going on
> beyond what I and others have already suggested.
>
> -Stuart

maybe, you're updating the wrong files?   I've done that a few times,
where the files i THOUGHT it was using, ended up being in the wrong
folder (or apache was pointing to a different folder... kinda one in the
same).

just an alternate spin on it...

Steve

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM, <ad...@buskirkgraphics.com> wrote:

> Fatih,
>        I am sorry spell check auto corrected your name, I was not changing
> your name on purpose.
> It was not my intension to piss you off.
>
> I understand your frustration, trust me.
> I am running 5.3.6 on Windows Server 2008 R2 IIS, I am running massive
> class based methods in my own framework.
> I am trying to help you narrow down the issue. I never blame PHP first
> because in my trouble shooting steps, I never get to PHP before I find the
> issue.
>
> Segmentation Faults: that prevent the php script from completing locking up
> resources and causing a nightmare chain of events. It dumps the process at
> the fail point can look like it is a PHP thing but it is not. This can
> explain sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
>
> This can be caused by a host of reasons:
> Buffer Overflow,
> Attempting to access memory the program does not own. (This also points to
> Storage Violations)
> Using uninitialized pointers,
> Dereferencing Null pointers
>
> Again suggestions please do not take offense.
>

> Richard L. Buskirk

already here to ask for suggestions not to take offense. Anyway, I will
re-check these points you have mentioned.

thanks.

OP:

Can we see the methods in question?

Have you tried running the code on a different server/host?

Have you added any scaffolding to your methods in order to test your
caching theory? This would be the first thing I would try (i.e. create
random number (or whatever), concat with variable vals generated via
method, other.....)

Sent from my iPhone

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Fatih P. <fatihpirist...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Stuart Dallas <stu...@3ft9.com> wrote:

>>> is being uploaded  through ftp, scp or something else.
>>> all kind of content caching is disabled.
>>>
>>> and what I mean by the code files are being cached is: after the
>>> modifications, i do get the result which was produced before modification.
>>> which shows
>>> that the file is not being interpreted by php. how i get to this point
>>> that I see errors after restarting the machine which were not there during
>>> coding or when
>>> i dump an object it doesn't show up anything other than previous content.
>>>
>>> to recover this situation,  either I have to restart httpd which
>>> sometimes does work or when it gets more problematic,
>>> i have to crush httpd / php on start. and only having this problem on
>>> windows machines.
>>>
>>> sounds funny to most of you but it is happening
>>>

>> I'm sure it is happening, I don't doubt that, but there's probably a very
>> simple explanation.
>>
>> What browser are you using? Certain older browsers such as IE6 have their
>> own ideas about whether pages should be cached or not. You can usually
>> bypass the browser cache by holding control and/or shift while clicking on
>> the refresh button. Try that next time this happens.
>>
>> Other possibilities include filesystem issues, such that the OS is not
>> seeing that the file has been changed - there are levels of caching on
>> modern operating systems that most people, quite correctly, are not aware
>> of. The likelihood of this being the cause is miniscule.
>>
>> If you're absolutely certain that you are not using any opcode caching
>> (you mentioned that you are using pre-compiled binaries, and it's possible
>> they include APC or similar by default), then I have no idea what's going on
>> beyond what I and others have already suggested.
>>
>> using FF3,5 and IE7 as browser.

Those browsers should be fine, but forcing a reload (the control/shift +
refresh) is always worth trying.

Maybe I should compile php myself disabling things i dont need and see it
> will make any difference.

You can see what's in your PHP build by creating a script that just contains
the following..

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Run that and check the output. If you got the binary from php.net then
chances are that you don't have any opcode caching modules in there.

It's also worth doing a variation on Micky's suggestion - when I want to
make sure a script has actually been executed rather than cached data being
served I put a call to echo date('r'); in an appropriate place. That way the
script output will display the current date and time which should change
with each request.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Tamara Temple <tamouse.li...@gmail.com>wrote:

> How do I launch a php script from another running php script
> asynchronously?

You can perform the long-running job in the same process that handles the
request by sending appropriate headers. We use this to run reports that take
ten minutes without making the user keep the browser tab open. Call this
method before starting the job:

    /**
     * Effectively causes PHP to keep running after flushing everything and
closing the client connection
     *
     * @param mixed $status JSON-encoded and sent to the client
     */
    public function flushAndCloseConnection($status) {
        // disable any apache or php gzipping
        if (function_exists('apache_setenv')) {
            apache_setenv('no-gzip', 1);
        }
        ini_set('zlib.output_compression', 0);
        // Tell the server and client we intend for it to disconnect
        ignore_user_abort(true);
        // Tell the client we are done!
        header('Connection: close');
        header('Content-type: application/json');
        $json = json_encode($status);
        header('Content-Length: ' . strlen($json));
        echo $json;
        flush();
    }

In our case we send a JSON status string ("ok") as well.

Another option is to fork the process using pcntl_fork() [1]. I haven't used
this in PHP before so I can't give an example.

Peace,
David

[1] http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pcntl-fork.php

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM, David Harkness
<davi...@highgearmedia.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Tamara Temple <tamouse.li...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > How do I launch a php script from another running php script
> > asynchronously?
> >

> You can perform the long-running job in the same process that handles the
> request by sending appropriate headers. We use this to run reports that
> take
> ten minutes without making the user keep the browser tab open. Call this
> method before starting the job:
>
>    /**
>     * Effectively causes PHP to keep running after flushing everything and
> closing the client connection
>     *
>     * @param mixed $status JSON-encoded and sent to the client
>     */
>    public function flushAndCloseConnection($status) {
>        // disable any apache or php gzipping
>        if (function_exists('apache_setenv')) {
>            apache_setenv('no-gzip', 1);
>        }
>        ini_set('zlib.output_compression', 0);
>        // Tell the server and client we intend for it to disconnect
>        ignore_user_abort(true);
>        // Tell the client we are done!
>        header('Connection: close');
>        header('Content-type: application/json');
>        $json = json_encode($status);
>        header('Content-Length: ' . strlen($json));
>        echo $json;
>        flush();
>    }
>
> In our case we send a JSON status string ("ok") as well.

While this will work, I would caution against doing this, especially when
using Apache as the web server. Keeping an HTTP request handler process
occupied with an offline task is a substantial waste of resources. Far
better to offload that work to a separate process so as to free up the
request handler so it's available to handle another incoming request.

Another option is to fork the process using pcntl_fork() [1]. I haven't used
> this in PHP before so I can't give an example.

Forking an HTTP request handler can lead to some very unwelcome
side-effects. I'd urge you not to do this. It may appear to work for a
while, but I guarantee you'll live to regret it.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Stuart Dallas <stu...@3ft9.com> wrote:

> While this will work, I would caution against doing this, especially when
> using Apache as the web server. . . .
>
> Forking an HTTP request handler can lead to some very unwelcome
> side-effects. I'd urge you not to do this. It may appear to work for a
> while, but I guarantee you'll live to regret it.

Thank you, Negative Nancy. :) Those are excellent points, and luckily we're
doing this for an infrequently run internal report that runs on a machine
that doesn't do much else.

Alternatively, you can use & in bash or some other shell to spawn a
background job, and I suppose you could create a wrapper shell script that
does that calls php in the background. But there must be a direct way using
an alternate to exec().

David

Hi everybody,

I have developed an ORM framework in PHP for the last 2 years and it's
becoming a more professional and nice solution so before doing a
new complete revamp I am going to look for volunteer developers to do a real
good version.

But I am wondering what would be the best and clearest way to present the
 project in order to get some people interested in it ?

I was thinking about
- showing the previous versions
- showing use cases
- showing unit testing (I'm doing test driven development)
- a short user manual (the project doesn't have any user manual yet!)

Thanks in advance!

[snip]
I have developed an ORM framework in PHP for the last 2 years and it's
becoming a more professional and nice solution so before doing a
new complete revamp I am going to look for volunteer developers to do a
real
good version.
[/snip]

https://github.com/

thanks, I should have said I have the project already in sourceforge so I
have an SVN ready, and a outdated website with an outdated user manual and
even an outdated dissertation about the reason for the development of the
project.

On 28 June 2011 21:29, Jay Blanchard <jblanch...@pocket.com> wrote:

> [snip]
> I have developed an ORM framework in PHP for the last 2 years and it's
> becoming a more professional and nice solution so before doing a
> new complete revamp I am going to look for volunteer developers to do a
> real
> good version.
> [/snip]
>
> https://github.com/

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM, jean-baptiste verrey <
jeanbaptiste.ver...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,

Hi Dr Nick!

I have developed an ORM framework in PHP for the last 2 years and it's
> becoming a more professional and nice solution so before doing a
> new complete revamp I am going to look for volunteer developers to do a
> real
> good version.
>
> But I am wondering what would be the best and clearest way to present the
>  project in order to get some people interested in it ?
>
> I was thinking about
> - showing the previous versions
> - showing use cases
> - showing unit testing (I'm doing test driven development)
> - a short user manual (the project doesn't have any user manual yet!)

The best way to get other developers interested in contributing to your
project is to not ask for it. Build something they want to use, put a
mechanism in place for them to contribute patches and new features, and let
it happen naturally. You can't force developers to contribute to your
project without paying them.

As Jay mentioned, GitHub is a great place to share code, and it would appear
to be far more popular than Sourceforge these  days. It has features that
allow other developers to fork your code and contribute changes back to your
repository. However, it doesn't really matter where you put it because most
of the interest in it will come from other things you do to spread the word.

Contribute to PHP mailing lists and put a link to your project in your
signature. Do the same on forums and any other channels where you can engage
with your intended audience, but don't force it down their throats. Give
your project lots of exposure, but don't ask developers to contribute - let
them discover/decide how worthy your project is of their attention and
efforts on their own. That's the only way to build a quality bunch of
contributors.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd

+1 for GitHub or BitBucket.

I have not visited SourceForge for years... I just like using Git myself.

I would definitely be interested in working on/developing the user manual for
the project. You have my interest.

Best,

Christopher
I have developed an ORM framework in PHP for the last 2 years and it's
becoming a more professional and nice solution so before doing a
new complete revamp I am going to look for volunteer developers to do a real
good version.

But I am wondering what would be the best and clearest way to present the
 project in order to get some people interested in it ?

I was thinking about
- showing the previous versions
- showing use cases
- showing unit testing (I'm doing test driven development)
- a short user manual (the project doesn't have any user manual yet!)

Thanks in advance!
proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other
use of the email by you is prohibited.

Hello!

Stas has packed PHP 5.4.0alpha1 which you can find here:

    http://downloads.php.net/stas/

Please test it carefully, and report any bugs in the bug system, but
only if you have a short reproducable test case. Alpha 2 will be
released in about 2 weeks.

You can read more information about this release here:
http://www.php.net/archive/2011.php#id2011-06-28-1

regards,
Stas and David

On 28 Jun 2011 at 22:39, David Soria Parra <d...@php.net> wrote:

> You can read more information about this release here:
> http://www.php.net/archive/2011.php#id2011-06-28-1

Not quite yet, perhaps?

--
Cheers  --  Tim

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 22:51 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 28 Jun 2011 at 22:39, David Soria Parra <d...@php.net> wrote:
>
> > You can read more information about this release here:
> > http://www.php.net/archive/2011.php#id2011-06-28-1
>
> Not quite yet, perhaps?
will take a few minutes before it's up on every server

> --
> Cheers  --  Tim

Hi, i made a SSL Client using JAVA, with a key generated by Keytool.

The command was the next:

*keytool -genkey -keystore mySrvKeystore -keyalg RSA*

Password: 123456

Now, im tryint to send a simple text using this kind of connection in PHP.
The server already works with a Java Server / Java Client. Now i want a PHP
Client. I tried every example listed in the OpenSSL section in the PHP help
but nothing worked.

Can you help me?

Mariano

On Jun 27, 2011, at 7:18 AM, Steve Staples wrote:

On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 16:11 -0500, Tamara Temple wrote:
On Jun 24, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Richard Quadling wrote:
On 24 June 2011 18:23, Tamara Temple <tamouse.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Jun 24, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Richard Quadling wrote:
On 24 June 2011 15:44, Vitalii Demianets <vi...@nppfactor.kiev.ua>
wrote:
And furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed.
Let's haul out the PHP war wagons!
http://xkcd.com/327/
I so wanted to rename my daughter "Little Chelsea Tables" after I
read that one. Randall is one mean mofo.

And because it is so relevant, I added it to the docs...

http://docs.php.net/manual/en/security.database.sql-injection.php

Well played, sir, well played. I think we should go through all the
xkcd comics that relate to programming somehow and insert them in the
php.net documentation :)

Tamara, kind of like this one?

http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.goto.php

I love that comic :)

Yes, exactly like that one. Between Richard's gambit and that GOTO comic is what gave me the idea! :)