To my knowledge, there's no way to make a browser do SCP without coming up
with a custom plugin, which isn't likely to be within the scope of stuff
you're willing to take on.  Fortunately, someone else has done it for you.

F-Secure SSH is an SSH terminal client that includes tunneling and file
transfer tools (SFTP and SCP). Unfortunately, it's US$150. Bleah.
http://www.f-secure.com

PuTTY and PSCP are free tools developed by the same author. PuTTY is also
fun to say if you're a Seinfeld fan.

There are a couple of other SCP tools out there for Windows (some of which
are even free!), but you can search for the links yourself at the usual
suspects' sites (download.com, zdnet.com, etc).

If you're actually trying to make PHP handle file uploads and downloads
securely, you're basically looking at HTTPS/SSL.

HTH,    Sam