My understanding is :

1. <?= is essentially php4+ specific
2. Will not work if short_tags_open setting is off (in php.ini) because of
   the fact that <? is a short tag.

Regarding its relation to the ASP counterpart, it is not directly related
to <%= as that is an ASP tag which refers to the asp_tags setting which if
on, <%= will work, if not on, it will not.  Information and references to
this can be found here :

http://www.php.net/manual/language.basic-syntax.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.asp-tags
http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.short-open-tag

I've personally never tried asp tags.  Earlier within this thread , the
following php internals were posted by Jim Winstead :

http://cvs.php.net/viewcvs.cgi/php3/language-scanner.lex.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.4
http://cvs.php.net/viewcvs.cgi/php3/language-scanner.lex.diff?r1=1.6&r2=1.7

All in all, if others will be playing with your scripts, don't use asp
style as usually this is usually turned off.  Use of <?= is mildly
dangerous (and debated, my view is 'bad') to use given the reasons above.

Philip Olson
http://www.cornado.com/