First, the ()'s in the split regex makes no sense.  Split has no registers
to save stuff to.

Second, that is a rather clunky way to loop through an array.

Third, since the regex in split defines the delimiter to use to split the
string on, the actual "1 -->" part of the data is gone.  Why are you
checking for it via an ereg() call in the loop?

As far as I can tell, you simply want this:

 $buffer = split("[0-9] -->",$pagedata);
 foreach($buffer as $val) echo "$val<br>\n";

But then again, I don't really know what you are trying to do here.

-Rasmus