On Wednesday 17 January 2001 11:37, jeremy wrote:
> Example ONE:  (in just parse mode)
> --------[cut]---------------
> <?
> print "<html-tag>blah blah blah blah blah blah blah</html-tag>";
> print "<html-tag>" . $Var1 . "</html-tag><b-tag>" . $Var2 . "</b-tag>";
> ?>
> --------[/cut]--------------
>
> Example TWO:  (in html && parse mode)
> --------[cut]---------------
> --------[/cut]--------------
>
> Now, let me elaborate. I'm quite aware that the above 2 code segments
> will both be fast enough for me not to care.  BUT, within an
> application that has 1000 lines of code per page (hypothetically),
> everything begins to matter, and the more cpu-clicks I can save, the
> happier I'll be.

With big applications the *main* thing that matters is maintainability.
In other words: Make it work, make it work well, make it maintainable and
*then* make it as fast as possible while *keeping* it maintainable (and
working of course)

> The 2 examples will turn out the same results to the browser, but which
> will do it faster?

Don't care about it. The difference is most lileky in th 0.1% range.
Look at bigger optimizations first, then benchmark and if it still is too
slow (and only then) optimize further.

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

discoveries, is not "Eureka", but "That's funny..."

- Isaac Asimov