Well, essentially, a static class method is a method that can be called
without any instances of the class.  It's just a nice way to group
functions for your class.

Check out chapter 13 of the php manual:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop.php
"Static class methods are apparently supported in php v4.02"... using
:: notation.