I'm a bit troubled with the fact that variables declared at the top of your
script are not then global to functions within that script.  That in order
to see that variable within a function you'd have to declare it as global in
the function (understanding that the variable could have been set at the top
of the script).  This seems extremely backwards to me (me being a VB guy).

Would someone kindly shine the light down upon me with an explanation of
this logic?  And why can't I possibly declare the variable as Global at the
top of my script?

Thats a big "Hmmmm...."