In article
<20010118202212.PEYN8655.femail8.sdc1.sfba.home.com@localhost>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Stearne) wrote:

> True, but what if the poster has a FMP front-end to be used with the Web
> version?  mySQL is non-existent on the desktop.  And FMP makes building
> front-ends for destop apps very easy.

This is extremely true; FMP's front end is extremely easy to use, to the
point that almost the most naive users can create reports at their
leisure, instead of waiting on user support to create reports for them,
comment on the reports, have the comments acted on, etc.

We are in the process of moving all FMP databases that don't require a
user-friendly front end to mySQL, but there are some where we just have
to bite the bullet and keep FMP until there is a comparable SQL front
end for the Macintosh. We have at least two databases that are served
via print as well as via the web. In FileMaker it is trivial to make a
very nice catalog of records (classes, for example), and easy to make a
calendar of classes. And if our documentation person needs to make a new
report for displaying a condensed form  of classes, or a 3-fold report,
they can just do it, without even knowing that what they're doing is
called a "report" and requires a "front end". :*)

Are there any easy to use SQL front ends for Unix?

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've