Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately, [:space:]$bannedwords[$i][:space:]
would not work, since I need to also check for the first and last word.  In
a last-case scenario I could write special code for the first and last word,
but that may get ugly with bug-checking... but I've already tried
"\s+$bannedwords[$i]\s+" to no avail.  I believe [:space:] is just a
substitute for \s+, right?

Yeah, I've tried \<$bannedwords[$i]\> too, unfortunately.  Like I said
before, eregi_replace("a","[censored]",$string) makes a match, but
eregi_replace("\<a\>","[censored]",$string) or
eregi_replace("\ba\b","[censored]",$string) does not.  Most odd.

Thanks for your help, though.  Anyone else have suggestions?

--Neal