Many thoughts...

If there's anything advanced going on in the SQL7 code, you'll have a rough time
moving to mysql.  There are just things Mysql doesn't have which sql7 does.

Try using a bridge to continue using the sql7 machine from linux, and plan a more
gradual port to another db platform later.

Why are you moving to PHP3?  There's so much more available in PHP4.  Though 3 ain't
going away tomorrow, I can't think of any compelling reason to start a new project in
2001 in 3.

Am I missing something?