> After 3½ day with the same stupid problem I am borderline crazy and
> beginning to get REALLY fed up with PHP ;-)
> Could it be a bug in the ext_skel "and friends" utilities???

No, they work quite well.  Try going to http://conf.php.net and pick the
New York Linuxworld Advanced presentation near the bottom.  Then go to
slide #26.  This is a walkthrough of building a simple extension which
adds functions for the external libstocks.a library
(http://libstocks.sourceforge.net/)

Grab the library and try each step and see if you get a working extension
at the end of it.  I have actually given this talk a couple of times and
performed each step right in front of everybody and ended up with a
perfectly working extension.

-Rasmus