On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:04:41PM -0600, Chuck Mayo wrote :
> Now I'm completely off-topic, but does anyone have any ideas regarding
> database access with Javascript, perhaps by having JS run a shell or
> perl script? How would JS get the values back? Something like
>
> function getdb () {
>    var mylist = execute.some.remote.program(./getmysqldata.pl);
>    }

        Unless you are running a *signed* JavaScript code you
can't just call an external program (security, anyone ?). If its
just for a intranet, just let your JS code get signed to gain
higher client side access privileges and you are done; else
bummer (at least, this way).

What you could do with normal client side JS is just reload the
opener window.

As far I unterstood, you have a main window with some kind of
listbox depending on database output. Under some circumstances, a
window pops up where the use can alter some data. Just when you
have the feeling, the user has entered/altered enough data to
update the listbox in the window which spawned the popup, force
to reload the page with syntax like

        opener.location.href='same_url_again';

and your php script is called again, the db-data is fetched again
and you listbox is altered (hopefully).

m.

--
Markus Fischer,  http://josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at/~mfischer/