I'm interested in the proposition made recently on this list that PHP is
somehow a 'lightweight' language that some people don't take seriously. I
am relatively new to Linux and open source programming and only really
know PHP and some shell scripting, though I am now starting to explore
Python.

I have had a quick overview of several languages and it seems to me that
they all deal with the same basic components and logic:

variables
statements
flow control
functions
classes
etc
etc
etc

So I'm wondering, apart from the fact that PHP is web centric, what
features does the language lack that prevent some from taking it
seriously? It appears to me to use the same basic elements and logic as
any other programming language. Maybe it doesn't have tedious requirements
for memory management like C, but so what? Neither does Python.

Any comments appreciated.

Mick