On Friday 02 February 2001 05:32, John Hinsley wrote:

> > I want to install my personal server on a old Intel 486 machine, 36
> > Mb RAM, 2 Gb HardDisk, VGA, to develop in PHP. What version of Linux
> > do I need to install?

> But I'm unsure of what you "really" intend using this machine for. Do
> you really want a home network (in which case conventional wisdom
> suggests that the server should be the most powerful box on site) or

Well, you'll have great trouble getting several 100k hits per day on a
home server, so a small machine completely suffices :)

The most important thing here should be to *not* install a GUI, simply
because nobody will sit at that machine anyway and running GUIs consume
too much of your precious RAM.
SuSE, Debian or perhaps Red Hat should be fine for this.

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

Google results 1-10 of about 142,000,000 for e. Search took 0.18 seconds.

- http://www.google.com/search?q=e