Ed,

I won't argue with you about the necessity of these features in a modern
IDE.  All I can say is that this is just the initial version, and it came
out with above-minimal set of features that make for a useful PHP
development environment.  There's no doubt that there is room for
improvement, and I can assure you that our IDE team isn't sitting back and
watching the sky right now.  Most of the features you've mentioned, as well
as others, are scheduled for the next non-bugfix release version of the
IDE.  Version 1.0 is hardly where things end.  Look at the PHP version
number :)

Zeev

Zeev Suraski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CTO &  co-founder, Zend Technologies Ltd. http://www.zend.com/