php-general Digest 4 Feb 2001 03:09:01 -0000 Issue 491

Topics (messages 37956 through 38020):

PHP hosting - the final frontier.
        37956 by: Chris Mason
        37981 by: Ben Peter
        37984 by: Chris Mason
        37985 by: Robert Covell
        37989 by: Boaz Yahav
        37996 by: Robert Covell
        38003 by: Navid Yar

Re: "Trim" an array?
        37957 by: PHPBeginner.com

Re: 200 DOLLARS FOR YOU
        37958 by: PHPBeginner.com

Re: PHP Hosting
        37959 by: PHPBeginner.com

Re: select prob.
        37960 by: PHPBeginner.com
        37971 by: Christian Reiniger
        37973 by: Netbrain di M.L.
        37974 by: PHPBeginner.com
        37976 by: Netbrain di M.L.
        37977 by: PHPBeginner.com

Re: Animated / Streaming GIF
        37961 by: PHPBeginner.com

Re: Calendar help
        37962 by: PHPBeginner.com

Form's and oracle
        37963 by: Christoph Kempen
        37966 by: Alain Fontaine
        37969 by: Christoph Kempen
        38001 by: Iván Sánchez Ortega \"MR\"

Re: Microsoft's new naming convention...
        37964 by: David VanHorn
        37965 by: Navid Yar
        37967 by: Navid Yar

apache/SUexec/PHP
        37968 by: Larry Rosenman

upgrade installation
        37970 by: Vinicius Garcia
        38010 by: Michael Hall
        38019 by: Michael Hall

Re: Querying MySQL using 'AND' / 'OR'
        37972 by: Christian Reiniger

Including Virtual Paths
        37975 by: James Crowley
        37979 by: PHPBeginner.com

Problem compilieng PHP4
        37978 by: Thomas Weber
        37980 by: Christian Reiniger

CGI vs PHP
        37982 by: phpLover
        37987 by: Alain Fontaine
        38000 by: phpLover
        38004 by: Steve Werby

Select list with PHP
        37983 by: Gerry
        38017 by: Steve Edberg

try - catch ?
        37986 by: Alain Fontaine
        37990 by: Teodor Cimpoesu

Question about flock() on Linux
        37988 by: Andrew Sitnikov

Question about flock() on Linux. Part 2
        37991 by: Andrew Sitnikov

test - please disregard
        37992 by: Matthew Clark

sessions without cookies
        37993 by: Doug Kite

getimagesize question
        37994 by: Website4S.aol.com
        37997 by: Dundee \(Roland\)
        38002 by: Tom Meininger
        38005 by: Website4S.aol.com

Undefined variable
        37995 by: Dundee \(Roland\)
        37998 by: Steve Werby

Re: Problem compiling PHP4 Nr. 2
        37999 by: Thomas Weber

Invitation to a new Web site on politics and culture
        38006 by: editor.schenkreport.com

PHP news groups
        38007 by: McShen
        38008 by: Philip Olson
        38009 by: CC Zona

Bah, XML
        38011 by: szii.sziisoft.com

php-nuke?
        38012 by: FredrikAT

Oracle sessions
        38013 by: Christoph Kempen

Stringing sql queries?
        38014 by: Sandeep Hundal
        38018 by: Thomas Weber

my bugaboo.
        38015 by: Floyd Baker

need curl tutorial
        38016 by: webbie.deanox.com

Re: Syncronizing of mysql-db
        38020 by: Michael Dearman

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I see a lot of traffic regarding php hosting. From experience I know that
the general hosting companies provide a minimal PHP environment which is
often insufficient for PHP developers.
With this in mind, I'm considering offering specialized hosting for PHP
projects.

The server will be tuned to the needs of PHP projects, and will have the
latest PHP4 and mySQL versions, up to date XML libraries, IMAP and POP, and
will run php as a apache module for performance. The server will have a low
user count and I will offer migration alternatives as user's needs grow. The
machines will be hosted at a major data center with multiple large internet
feeds, and all the other essential requirements.

I plan to be available to users to assist in configuration problems and will
stay abreast of developments in PHP to make our projects run faster and
better.

I'd like to hear from people interested in participating or with
configuration suggestions. I'm not looking to start a large hosting company
but to be a specialized service provider on a small scale.

Let me know what you think, guys.

Chris Mason
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
USA Fax (561) 382-7771
Take a virtual tour of the island
http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide
Find out more about NetConcepts
www.netconcepts.ai
Talk to me in real time with Instant Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Chris,

This all sounds good but for one thing: I firmly believe that one man
with a root password is not enogh to look after even one client. I have
hosted with 3 one-man-companies, and it always came to the point where I
couldn't reach someone for a week, or I waited for 3 months, only to be
granted connect privileges to the mysql database - no offense meant! I
think it's just too much for one man, you cannot be available 24/7, and
you will want holidays.

Still, a PHP-specialized hosting environment would be worth much.

Cheers,
Ben

Chris Mason wrote:

> I see a lot of traffic regarding php hosting. From experience I know that
> the general hosting companies provide a minimal PHP environment which is
> often insufficient for PHP developers.
> With this in mind, I'm considering offering specialized hosting for PHP
> projects.
>
> The server will be tuned to the needs of PHP projects, and will have the
> latest PHP4 and mySQL versions, up to date XML libraries, IMAP and POP, and
> will run php as a apache module for performance. The server will have a low
> user count and I will offer migration alternatives as user's needs grow. The
> machines will be hosted at a major data center with multiple large internet
> feeds, and all the other essential requirements.
>
> I plan to be available to users to assist in configuration problems and will
> stay abreast of developments in PHP to make our projects run faster and
> better.
>
> I'd like to hear from people interested in participating or with
> configuration suggestions. I'm not looking to start a large hosting company
> but to be a specialized service provider on a small scale.
>
> Let me know what you think, guys.
>
> Chris Mason
> Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
> Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
> USA Fax (561) 382-7771
> Take a virtual tour of the island
> http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide
> Find out more about NetConcepts
> www.netconcepts.ai
> Talk to me in real time with Instant Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes, I'm very aware of this, but I'm not the only one here, there are three of
us.

Ben Peter wrote:

> Chris,
>
> This all sounds good but for one thing: I firmly believe that one man
> with a root password is not enogh to look after even one client. I have
> hosted with 3 one-man-companies, and it always came to the point where I
> couldn't reach someone for a week, or I waited for 3 months, only to be
> granted connect privileges to the mysql database - no offense meant! I
> think it's just too much for one man, you cannot be available 24/7, and
> you will want holidays.
>
> Still, a PHP-specialized hosting environment would be worth much.
>
> Cheers,
> Ben
>
> Chris Mason wrote:
> >
> > I see a lot of traffic regarding php hosting. From experience I know that
> > the general hosting companies provide a minimal PHP environment which is
> > often insufficient for PHP developers.
> > With this in mind, I'm considering offering specialized hosting for PHP
> > projects.
> >
> > The server will be tuned to the needs of PHP projects, and will have the
> > latest PHP4 and mySQL versions, up to date XML libraries, IMAP and POP, and
> > will run php as a apache module for performance. The server will have a low
> > user count and I will offer migration alternatives as user's needs grow. The
> > machines will be hosted at a major data center with multiple large internet
> > feeds, and all the other essential requirements.
> >
> > I plan to be available to users to assist in configuration problems and will
> > stay abreast of developments in PHP to make our projects run faster and
> > better.
> >
> > I'd like to hear from people interested in participating or with
> > configuration suggestions. I'm not looking to start a large hosting company
> > but to be a specialized service provider on a small scale.
> >
> > Let me know what you think, guys.
> >
> > Chris Mason
> > Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
> > Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
> > USA Fax (561) 382-7771
> > Take a virtual tour of the island
> > http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide
> > Find out more about NetConcepts
> > www.netconcepts.ai
> > Talk to me in real time with Instant Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > --

I am going to have to disagree on this one.

I run a successful (and profitable) hosting company(http://www.rolet.com).
My employees total 1 (me, myself and I).  The number of clients hosted is
roughly 120.  I provide a wide variety of services on Linux, FreeBSD, NT,
and W2K.  Yes it is hard to believe that 1 person can be available 24x7, or
not take vacations, but this is what I do and LOVE every second of it.  I
value customer satisfaction and strive to provide that best Internet
services possible.  For me this is a career for life, not just a job.  So I
do believe that 1 person can be available 24x7 and not take vacations.
Don't get me wrong, some days it is tough.  I would like to have other
employees in the future, but don't mind the sacrifices taken to get there.

Sincerely,

Robert T. Covell
President / Owner
Rolet Internet Services, LLC
Web: www.rolet.com
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 816.210.7145
Fax: 816.753.1952

Chris Mason wrote:

> I see a lot of traffic regarding php hosting. From experience I know that
> the general hosting companies provide a minimal PHP environment which is
> often insufficient for PHP developers.
> With this in mind, I'm considering offering specialized hosting for PHP
> projects.
>
> The server will be tuned to the needs of PHP projects, and will have the
> latest PHP4 and mySQL versions, up to date XML libraries, IMAP and POP,
and
> will run php as a apache module for performance. The server will have a
low
> user count and I will offer migration alternatives as user's needs grow.
The
> machines will be hosted at a major data center with multiple large
internet
> feeds, and all the other essential requirements.
>
> I plan to be available to users to assist in configuration problems and
will
> stay abreast of developments in PHP to make our projects run faster and
> better.
>
> I'd like to hear from people interested in participating or with
> configuration suggestions. I'm not looking to start a large hosting
company
> but to be a specialized service provider on a small scale.
>
> Let me know what you think, guys.
>
> Chris Mason
> Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
> Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
> USA Fax (561) 382-7771
> Take a virtual tour of the island
> http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide
> Find out more about NetConcepts
> www.netconcepts.ai
> Talk to me in real time with Instant Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

And if, God forbid, something was to happen to you...
120 People / Companies would be left with a server
that no one knows the root password too?

With all due respect, how can someone in his
right mind host with a one man gang company?

For all I know you can be a hosting genius and
give the best service around  but you are still one
man.

Would you host with you ? :)

Sincerely

      berber

Visit http://www.weberdev.com Today!!!
To see where PHP might take you tomorrow.

Chris Mason wrote:

> I see a lot of traffic regarding php hosting. From experience I know that
> the general hosting companies provide a minimal PHP environment which is
> often insufficient for PHP developers.
> With this in mind, I'm considering offering specialized hosting for PHP
> projects.
>
> The server will be tuned to the needs of PHP projects, and will have the
> latest PHP4 and mySQL versions, up to date XML libraries, IMAP and POP,
and
> will run php as a apache module for performance. The server will have a
low
> user count and I will offer migration alternatives as user's needs grow.
The
> machines will be hosted at a major data center with multiple large
internet
> feeds, and all the other essential requirements.
>
> I plan to be available to users to assist in configuration problems and
will
> stay abreast of developments in PHP to make our projects run faster and
> better.
>
> I'd like to hear from people interested in participating or with
> configuration suggestions. I'm not looking to start a large hosting
company
> but to be a specialized service provider on a small scale.
>
> Let me know what you think, guys.
>
> Chris Mason
> Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
> Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
> USA Fax (561) 382-7771
> Take a virtual tour of the island
> http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide
> Find out more about NetConcepts
> www.netconcepts.ai
> Talk to me in real time with Instant Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I shouldn't even reply to this...

Yes I would host with me.

Have you ever heard of a backup plan.  People that would step in if
something happens to me?  People that I trust to keep the company going if
it fails.

With all due respect, how do people host with a company that doesn't give a
rats ass about them or their business.  How many big companies redirect your
call, or brush you away when problems occur.  I been over backwards for my
clients.  Providing better service then many of the bigger companies out
there.  That is why people do and will continue to host with me.  Like I
said, I plan on hiring people in the near future.  Things take time to
evolve.

I am not saying that my company is for everyone.  If you don't like a one
man shop then don't go there.  People have taken a chance with me and have
not been disappointed like so many times before.

Chris Mason wrote:

> I see a lot of traffic regarding php hosting. From experience I know that
> the general hosting companies provide a minimal PHP environment which is
> often insufficient for PHP developers.
> With this in mind, I'm considering offering specialized hosting for PHP
> projects.
>
> The server will be tuned to the needs of PHP projects, and will have the
> latest PHP4 and mySQL versions, up to date XML libraries, IMAP and POP,
and
> will run php as a apache module for performance. The server will have a
low
> user count and I will offer migration alternatives as user's needs grow.
The
> machines will be hosted at a major data center with multiple large
internet
> feeds, and all the other essential requirements.
>
> I plan to be available to users to assist in configuration problems and
will
> stay abreast of developments in PHP to make our projects run faster and
> better.
>
> I'd like to hear from people interested in participating or with
> configuration suggestions. I'm not looking to start a large hosting
company
> but to be a specialized service provider on a small scale.
>
> Let me know what you think, guys.
>
> Chris Mason
> Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
> Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
> USA Fax (561) 382-7771
> Take a virtual tour of the island
> http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide
> Find out more about NetConcepts
> www.netconcepts.ai
> Talk to me in real time with Instant Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Actually, there is nothing wrong with a one-manned hosting service. I agree
with Robert in this, there are a lot of big hosting companies that don't
really have a personal hold of their business to really care about their
clients. To them everything is automated and all they do is hire customer
service people who are only taught to, well, "serve customers" with answers
to questions they don't know in the first place. They just read from the
script and have basic step-by-step trouble shooting instructions in front of
them to solve a client's problems/requests. If you need an updated software
package, like PHP4, froman old PHP3 engine, you'de have to beg for it and
you might have to go through several layers of support just for that request
to go through. Let me remind you that the software is free of charge. If the
request is accepted, then more power to you. If it's not then you'll have to
deal with it until you decide to find another host.

I have one question for you Robert. XML has been in the market for a long
time (since 1998), and the recommendations are now set to a true standard.
Why do most hosting services not have support for XML based languages yet?
Thanks...

Navid Yar

Chris Mason wrote:

> I see a lot of traffic regarding php hosting. From experience I know that
> the general hosting companies provide a minimal PHP environment which is
> often insufficient for PHP developers.
> With this in mind, I'm considering offering specialized hosting for PHP
> projects.
>
> The server will be tuned to the needs of PHP projects, and will have the
> latest PHP4 and mySQL versions, up to date XML libraries, IMAP and POP,
and
> will run php as a apache module for performance. The server will have a
low
> user count and I will offer migration alternatives as user's needs grow.
The
> machines will be hosted at a major data center with multiple large
internet
> feeds, and all the other essential requirements.
>
> I plan to be available to users to assist in configuration problems and
will
> stay abreast of developments in PHP to make our projects run faster and
> better.
>
> I'd like to hear from people interested in participating or with
> configuration suggestions. I'm not looking to start a large hosting
company
> but to be a specialized service provider on a small scale.
>
> Let me know what you think, guys.
>
> Chris Mason
> Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
> Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
> USA Fax (561) 382-7771
> Take a virtual tour of the island
> http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide
> Find out more about NetConcepts
> www.netconcepts.ai
> Talk to me in real time with Instant Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

a simple

<snip>
        for($i=0; $i<sizeof($array); $++)
                $array[$i]=trim($array[$i]);